MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database size
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a MYBB V1.2 forum with 22 posts and 10 users. The database is already at over 25mb! I've optimized the database both from MYBB and from PHPMyAdmin with no effect.

This seems way overboard from what I've seen in other posts. Any ideas how I can get it down?

The templates (281.3 Kb) and captcha (185.9Kb) tables are the two biggest. Posts are at 43K and users 7K

Thanks
Hi,

You can reduce the database size by emptying the following tables from time-to-time:

mybb_adminlog (Note: This will clear the logs of what admins have done in the Admin CP)
mybb_searchlog
mybb_moderatorlog (Note: This will clear the logs of what Moderators have done)

You can empty them by using database management software such phpMyAdmin. (Making sure you don't "Drop" any of the tables just "Empty" them).

Chris.
I did that, it reduced the size by a couple of K. Still at 25.2 Mb.

Is this sort of size normal for an installation that started at 1.2.3, has been updated progressively to 1.2.14 and has only ever had 22 posts and 10 users? It seems pretty bloated from what I've read in other posts.

Should I upgrade to 1.4, or start with a fresh install and import my tables (reluctant to go down that route if I don't have to!), or will 1.4 make it even worse?

I don't plan on using the captcha at present, if I empty that table can I easily resurrect it later?

Thanks
Peter

Below is the info from the admin panel front page if it helps.
MyBB version: 1.2.13 PHP version: 5.2.5
DB version: MySQL 5.0.51 Server load: 2.03
Total users: 10 Users awaiting activation: 0
New users today: 0 Active users today: 2
Total Threads: 21 (0) New threads today: 0
Total Posts: 21 (0) New posts today: 0
Total Attachments: 3 (0) Total Attachment Space Used: 57.72 KB

(2008-08-31, 11:35 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

You can reduce the database size by emptying the following tables from time-to-time:

mybb_adminlog (Note: This will clear the logs of what admins have done in the Admin CP)
mybb_searchlog
mybb_moderatorlog (Note: This will clear the logs of what Moderators have done)

You can empty them by using database management software such phpMyAdmin. (Making sure you don't "Drop" any of the tables just "Empty" them).

Chris.
Something doesn't seem right.
MyBB 1.2x has less than 50 tables, so even if we assume each table is your stated maximum (281KB), that's 13.7MB. There must be something else.

How are you determining the size? Can you post a list of all tables along with their sizes?
Do you have other software running on the same database?
Ok, I found the problem, but not sure what to do about it.

I'd missed that table mybb_events was reporting as MiB not KiB. It shows 10,169 records, and size = 24.6MiB.

It seems to have had vast number of entries put into it on the first of some months, like this one below. This comes from my admin account which I don't leave logged on, I have a normal user account that I usually use.

9UwqUY <a href="http://ggpjrjvdgdjt.com/">ggpjrjvdgdjt</a>, tbwkropxgkcj, [link=http://dsdlinosxsaj.com/]dsdlinosxsaj[/link], http://lamliycihwfl.com/

Can I empty the records somehow (empty table in PHPMyAdmin)? And then how do I stop this happening again?

I'm going to upgrade to 1.4, but I'd like to tidy this up first.

Peter

Thanks

P.S. I decided to just empty the table anyway which seems to have worked OK. Now the database is down to 780KiB, much more reasonable. I still would like to know how to stop this happening again. Meanwhile I've disabled the calendar.
Sounds like you got spammed. Do you have CAPTCHA turned on?