MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving from subdomain to domain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lets say I want to move a forum from a subdomain to a domain (which is not the parent of the current subdomain), how would I go about doing this?

As well as moving the database and so on?

Thanks.
if you bought a new domain and just transfered your database that works? Worked for me
Well first you have to create a MySQL dump of the DB.

Make sure everything is fine, next backup all the files, and then finally upload the files to the directory where the domain is. And then create a new DB but don't add any tables. Import your old DB and change your config. files to reflect the new DB details and start up the forum. There might be some image loading issues, just log onto the Admin CP, and change the board URL to the new one and assuming you did everything right, it should work.

This is assuming that the domain is in a different host. If not, then I believe you could just move the files to the new domain's folder and just change the board URL via the Admin CP. No need to redump the SQL database since your on the same host.

The MyBB Wiki has some useful info on the DB related stuff:
DB Backup
DB Restore
Well, I was going to say what PwnEm & Mcgroove said. And if you're thinking if you may get a domain for free, you must pay. I recommend GoDaddy. You may also use the co.cc domain. Go to their site and you may verify whether it will be free or not. You of course have to sign up which you also have to enter your: Address, Phone #, Personal Info(Never will be told to anyone else), and etc. during the sign up.
Also you have to set your cookies setting according to new domain.