MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Akismet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
May you tell me all the details and instructions on Akismet? I've looked into it and it's confusing. Undecided
First setting - On or Off Toungue
API Key to use for Akismet - a code you need to get my registering on the link given, which gives you access to the script Amismet uses.
The rest should be straight forward.

Basically what this plugin does is detect spam on your forum, like on one I go on, some guy occasionly signs up and makes a massive post about all the mobile phones he says he has for sale. Akismet uses an algorithm (sp??) to detect these spam messages and bans the user without the admin even having to be online to do it, so it stops the spam.
You could always check out Askimet's Website to read up on it if you wanted.

"Remember the days before spam?" is quite a good tagline... wasn't the first email message ever sent qwertyuiop?... that would probably be considered spam by some people Toungue

I think I have this activated Confused... you need to have a Wordpress API Key to activate it though, but it's fairly simple to setup considering the benefits you get from it.

Read up on Wordpress's API Keys, or just simply sign up to WP (even if you never use their service) and get an API key - copy and paste into the ACP and your forum's protected Smile