MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you make setting for only certain group view sections?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok this is sorta continuation of this thread....http://community.mybboard.net/thread-37735.html

but no one seems to understand my problem and I am just frustrated.

I know this has to do with Permissions in Manage Forum in ACP.

Today I was curious whether only my board had the problem of not being able to make certain groups preventing from watching certain sections. But it turned out all 3 of my boards' permission is not really working.

For example, if I ever make a "Admin Discussion" forum and make some posts there, and I set view for only Admin, no other groups selected for view. I don't even want other members know "Admin Discussion" even exists.

Same principles go here. When I make the forum permission for "Members Only" forum that guests can't view, I want guests don't even know it exists.

So how do I do that?

I hope I clarified enough.

So is this impossible and not supported at all by MyBB? If so, what is the puporse of permission setting when I unselect group view and save and still don't work? Dodgy
You just unckeck the box saying guests and all the other usergroups can view it. It's easy really.
It still doesn't work.

I even showed screenshot here in this thread http://community.mybboard.net/thread-37735.html
Please go take a look...

As you see them, you see I clearly unchecked guest from all viewing and posting etc and I saved all those settings.

[Image: screenshot-1.jpg]

Yet whenever I log as a guest, why the heck am I seeing all contents when I am a guest and when I am not supposed to??

[Image: guestcanview-1.jpg]

I am pretty sure I am doing right. =/ I used Invisionfree ACP before it was never a hassle like this. (still I prefer this over invisionfree but only this part really is annoying to fix here.)

Is there any MyBB technician or developer that I can contact for this matter?

I seriously like this forum and its layout and ACP well organized (was easy to learn) except this part which is actually important to me.
You also have to select the option to not show hidden forums... can't tell you where exactly because my laptop has just committed suicide, but it's in the settings somewhere Toungue
here'S ONE WAY..

Go to user groups.. edit it for Guests and choose options as you want for example I'll choose the guests can view a Forum but not the threads.

Just that !

Now when you set the forum settings.. be sure the parent settings of groups apply to those Groups in that settings..

err.. got confused Here :p

But it's pretty same.. Edit Group settings and apply them to indivdual Forum. ok?
satishd Wrote:here'S ONE WAY..

Go to user groups.. edit it for Guests and choose options as you want for example I'll choose the guests can view a Forum but not the threads.

Just that !

Now when you set the forum settings.. be sure the parent settings of groups apply to those Groups in that settings..

err.. got confused Here

But it's pretty same.. Edit Group settings and apply them to indivdual Forum. ok?

thank you, satishd. At least that worked by user group edit. I didn't see the 2nd tab there about posting and display options. So I unclicked for some groups and tested and worked fine.

at least that secures my forum. I am now happy with this.

However, still I think there is a way that certain section(forums) can be shown to guests while most forums sections(forums).

Mat Wrote:You also have to select the option to not show hidden forums... can't tell you where exactly because my laptop has just committed suicide, but it's in the settings somewhere

I assuming you mean settings configurations in ACP. In Forum Display Options, "Users Browsing this forum" didn't do anything. In Forum Home Options, "Hide Private forums" has been on by default, yet I still get same problem that guests can still see. I am still lost on what you say about "hidden forums". Still thanks for replies so far, Matt.
That's what I meant, hide private forums...
(2008-09-16, 08:38 PM)Atlantis Wrote: [ -> ]In Forum Home Options, "Hide Private forums" has been on by default, yet I still get same problem that guests can still see. I am still lost on what you say about "hidden forums". Still thanks for replies so far, Matt.

umm.. Bro If i got the problem right .. you want a forum not to be seen by anybody other then registered right?
well go to Forum Mangement in Forums and Posts.. Select the Forum Options and then Permisions .

Then there Remove all Permissions for Guests.. Done !