MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions and problems after installing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have installed myBB with great success!

Now i have few questions:

1. How can i change the default group which is being registered?
I created a custom group lets call it "Group Z" and i wish that from now on
whom ever is registering will be AUTO grouped to "Group Z" instead the default "Registered" Group.

2. When i am enabling in the configuration the SEO friendly urls, Only then
when i try to use the forum i get "404 file not found" errors, how can i fix that?

3. How can i change the logo?

4. Is there a way to have an Invite kind of operation?

what i mean is that as an ADMIN i enter users email and invite them
to the forum to register as "Group Z" while normal registration is not "Group Z"

Thing is that i am trying to do is that i have a software and i wish to have a beta testing forum which is hidden.

for now there are no users in the forum so everyone whom register will be a beta tester. so when beta testing is over i wish to have new categories-forums installed for regular registered users support, and leave the beta testers forum hidden.

that is my goal.

thank you.
Hey,

1. There probably is someway to do this, either as a setting in the ACP or through source file edits... not 100% sure as I don't have access to a forum at the moment.

Why don't you just call the default registration group, "Group Z", and then create a second group, then promote your users to it?

2. Make sure you have the setting turned on in the ACP. You can find this in Server and Optimization Options.

Second, make sure you have the .htaccess file in your forum root directory. Chances are, if you've done these things, there's a problem with the server, so contact your host.

3. Logos are changed in templates and style. If you click on "Options" next to the theme your using, go to edit theme. There's a setting in there to change the logo.

4. Not 100% sure something like this exists at the moment - check out myBB Mods to see what there is. Alternatively, you could always ask them to fill in the "Referral" box in the registration page...

With what you're planning, just set forum permissions so that only the beta testers group can see those particular forums - then when newly registered users join they won't see them.

Hope that helps...
Hi,

thank you for your reply.

1. Other forums has this built in with no need to touch the source.
i am actually surprised the default user group can not be changed (!) .

2. i will talk to my hosting provider.

3. thanks for that.

4. i searched the mod section, nothing like this and the referral box is a bad solution.

well my current problem is issue number 1 which i am sure there is a solution for this.

any more suggestions from other?
Just rename registered to Group Z like Tom said, that'll be the easiest thing to do... I think 99.9% of people want people to go the registered group first, hence why there isn't an option to change it.

How about this... make a new group called Group Z, and set up a promotion for when they have been registered for 1 hour. Isn't the best option, but it's an option all the same Wink
I did that promotion thingie enabled by time,post count reputation all in 0!

so the user actually being promoted to Group Z after 20 min ( i checked with 6 temp users )

rather then right after he is registering.

also i did at the default "Registered" group an category forum with no sub forums saying

"Please wait 30 min to full forum activation"

its a hack but it is so lame, come on this forum software looks so advance and simple i don't know how that group thingie changing its default was not added.

thanks for your comments, if anyone else has better smarter solution please share.

thank you.
(2008-09-17, 10:16 AM)Arye Wrote: [ -> ]its a hack but it is so lame, come on this forum software looks so advance and simple i don't know how that group thingie changing its default was not added.

It's like Matt says, 99.9% of people just rename the default group then add an extra one if needed.

Not even Invision or vBulletin (don't quote me on vB!) does this... why? Because there really is no need to do it...

Undecided
(2008-09-17, 09:55 AM)Arye Wrote: [ -> ]1. Other forums has this built in with no need to touch the source.
i am actually surprised the default user group can not be changed (!)

Well what do you mean by change?Exclamation

you can rename it you edit all of it permissions you can edit all its images and stars logos.

what more changing you can and you want Angel
No they want to change what the default group is without having to rename it.

Here's a question, will you want to use the default Registered group as well as this new one you want new members to go to??
@ Matt

i still didn't get you then what they wanna change into default group its permissoins?
(2008-09-18, 09:35 AM)MyBBmodding Wrote: [ -> ]i still didn't get you then what they wanna change into default group its permissoins?

Basically, when a user registers, he wants them to go into a different group automatically, instead of the default "registered" group.

The suggestion is to simply rename the default group, and promote users to different groups when needed.

Smile
Pages: 1 2