MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am considering using MyBB as a replacement for my ancient custom Lotus Notes based forum application system. We host a number of discussion forums within one system for a range of external community-based groups. I need a system that allows:

- private forums
- registered users can see a forum description, but need to request access
- moderators can control access by adding approved user to a group.

My first impression is that the user management in MyBB the is not granular enough to accomplish this (??). If I give user management right to a user they appear to be able to manage all groups and users. I want to assign access to particular discussion to a unique group and then assign the management (add/remove membership) of that group (and the discussion moderation) to a external user. Can't be done out of the box??

Thank you for any insight you can provide. I love the application otherwise.
I don't get what you are saying..
(2008-09-17, 10:12 PM)acherwinski Wrote: [ -> ]- registered users can see a forum description, but need to request access

what is the request access??

(2008-09-17, 10:12 PM)acherwinski Wrote: [ -> ]- moderators can control access by adding approved user to a group.

Same you can do here By using Super Moderators or creating your own user groups.

(2008-09-17, 10:12 PM)acherwinski Wrote: [ -> ]If I give user management right to a user they appear to be able to manage all groups and users. I want to assign access to particular discussion to a unique group and then assign the management (add/remove membership) of that group (and the discussion moderation) to a external user. Can't be done out of the box??

- Well user management rights to a normal user are for his own profile only.
- He cant manage all user groups or users using those rights.
- For this he must be moderators or something like administrator or members any other authorized user group.

(2008-09-17, 10:12 PM)acherwinski Wrote: [ -> ]I want to assign access to particular discussion to a unique group and then assign the management (add/remove membership) of that group (and the discussion moderation) to a external user. Can't be done out of the box??

Well now here if am not wrong you are asking to control joining of a user group and a particular forum.

If so that you can do that using custom user groups and permission options.
Sorry if my message was not clear enough - please let me try again.

Quotewhat is the request access??

In a private or restricted forums users must be approved by the moderator before being able to read/write messages. For example only paid members of a teacher professional associate are eligible to participate in that association's forum. This forum is one of many forums on the general teachers Web site. The teacher need to be able to browse the list of forums (both public and restricted).

Quote If so that you can do that using custom user groups and permission options.

I will look further into creating a custom user group. I think what I want is to create a custom user group and assign another user permission to add and remove users to that custom group. Then only members of that custom group can assess the discussion. It is the assigning of the management of the custom group membership that I think Mybb can't do.

Thank very very much for your encouraging response.

A
yes you can create your custom user groups and assign them permission as you like also forum wise (which forum the respective user group can access or not.)
Thank you MyBBmodding
I figured out now how to use Custom Groups, Group Leaders, Group Membership Requests, and Manage/Moderate Join Requests.

My confusion was caused by different lingo/terminology from my other forum experience. I also had not fully understood the UserCP and expected to find the access controls in the Forum areas. The MyBB system looks great -- congratulation to all the developers and contributors.

Alan