MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade via new install????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi forums,

Is it possible to upgrade mybb via installing 1.4.2 and transfering data from the tables using phpmyadmin?

I have been using mybb for a couple of years now , and recently failed trying to upgrade from 1.1.5 to 1.4.2 - it stalled on the upgrade query pages so I hacked my way through the PHP code and performed the necessary changes myself to the database to get the install to complete.

However that caused major errors including that new users can't register and I can't alter style files and probably others i havent identified yet.

What can I do to fix this? I was thinking of trying a fresh install????

My URL is roadjunky.com/forums

Thanks
Jim
Fresh install??

after that you wanna import you DB into it?
That is how you do an upgrade Confused

Upload new files, install, delete new tables, upload backup, run upgrader.
Thanks for the replies guys... I have run the upgrader twice (after backtracking to the old files and old db) and it has failed both times.

I was wondering if I could just fresh install and import data from the old tables one by one.
When you make an upgrade you change the Database too.

So if you only "import" the old database, Forum will not work because it needs the updated database.
Wait, what process did you take??
This should sound interesting to you guys...

the upgrader stalled a lot on 'performing queries'

so i found the appropriate table changes in the upgrade#.php scripts and changed them by hand in the db.

then i ran the upgrader again until it stalled again.

repeat process until finally it ran all the way through.

however, not surprisingly, that broke things although the forum generally works. my main functionality problem right now is that new users cannot register.

my idea was to start from a fresh install and try to import the data somehow. i was wondering if this was possible.
Of course it's possible. Do you have access to PHPMyAdmin or some other sort of MySQL manager??
I do have access to phpmyadmin, and can work my way around exporting and importing tables.

From a fresh install, would I make sure the table structures match and then drop the new table and import the old (iteratively over all the tables)?

Will this cause any problems with data about mybb which may be stored in the flat files?
(2008-09-18, 07:53 PM)jim11 Wrote: [ -> ]my idea was to start from a fresh install and try to import the data somehow. i was wondering if this was possible.

I wouldn't recommend it. You would basically have to manually run the upgrade process. You won't be able to directly import the database and expect it to work, you'll have to find the differences between the database schema of the old version and the new version.

What errors are you encountering when running the upgrader? Paste the exact errors here.
Pages: 1 2