MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Who actually visited thread / real stats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Anyone know of a plugin or function that lists all those people that have actually visited a thread? I have a range of threads that flag that there has been 100s of views and I would like to know (1) which forum members actually visited the thread, and (2) whether guests not registered on the forum actually visited the thread and their IP Addresses if possible.

I also note that the number of views for a thread actually includes the number of views by everyone including the author and multiple visits. Anyway of preventing this?

Cheers Simon
I also want same with one extra feature and that it should also be prevented by remote hits.

Regards
Why do you want to know guests's IPs??
(2008-09-19, 07:07 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you want to know guests's IPs??

I feel violated Undecided

I wouldn't want people to know my IP address if I was visiting somewhere...

In response to the OP, then yes, it's possible, but not, I don't know of a plugin, so you might need to get it done yourself.

Simply make a function where myBB updates the views. Do something like

if($mybb->user['uid'] == $post['author']){
     // do nothing
}else{
     updateviews }

Same with the looking at who's viewed - bit more complicated, but you can create a different table in the database, then you can capture the data from when a guest looks at the topic.
(2008-09-19, 07:07 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you want to know guests's IPs??

(2008-09-19, 08:24 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]I feel violated Undecided

Oh come on, don't be naive, all visitors to a website are logged by stats packages anyway. I know my ISP provides standard software (i.e. Urchin) to provide statistics, which includes lists of ISP that visited the site. No personal data is available with these IP addresses although you can ping whois to get the owner - but this is publically available information anyway. Also, why is this so unusual a request. MyBB has a note on the screen that says your IP Address has been logged. All I am wanting to do is count the number of unique IP addresses with the list of visitors to a thread - hence providing a useful statistic 'the actual number of people who have viewed the thread'
What could you possibly do with that sort of information??
(2008-09-20, 10:59 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]What could you possibly do with that sort of information??

Could be handy to know if they're legitimate guests or just search robots and crawlers etc..

(just playing devils advocate here :p )
(2008-09-20, 11:14 AM)spoony Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-09-20, 10:59 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]What could you possibly do with that sort of information??

Could be handy to know if they're legitimate guests or just search robots and crawlers etc..

(just playing devils advocate here :p )

Toungue

Why don't you ask for someone to make a plugin to find this for you??
Quote:Why don't you ask for someone to make a plugin to find this for you??

That would be nice but who? I have put this idea on the list of new features but it is likely to take some time before it is included if at all.

Quote:Could be handy to know if they're legitimate guests or just search robots and crawlers etc..

Having information on visitors is important. I try and target my information towards users. I only have a ~20 registered users (who rarely as questions) yet have quite a lot of views for various threads. Urchin tells me various search engines visit my site quite regularly. What I want to know is when a thread says it has been viewed 300 times. How many of those visits are actually real (300 - bot visits - me reviewing text = real) and out of those real visits how many are by registered users and how many by guests.

My suspicion is that most visits are guests and if this is so I want to try and bring them into the forum by getting them to register. If I am wrong and these hits are just curious bots then I am wasting my time.

Realistic web stats are very valuable when preparing content. I regularly look at what pages are frequented the most and what IP Addresses are accessing them. I now readily recognise the common bot IP Addresses and are able to distinguish how many legitimate hits have occurred. Unfortunately with the forum I can see the forum being visited but not which threads are being viewed.