MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: merge system questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm in the process at the moment of trialling mybb as a replacement for phpbb2. I've been hesitant to upgrade to phpbb3 because I figure if I have to do a big upgrade anyway (my entire theme doesnt work for phpbb3 so I need to redo it pretty much from scratch and relearn everything) then I may as well look at alternatives.

I'm looking at vb and mybb at the moment, tossing up whether or not to go paid or try out mybb. Not sure which way I'll end up going but thought I'd atleast give mybb a go because I hadnt heard of it at all until a few weeks ago and does look impressive (though a couple things I'm unsure about but hopefully will be able to make decisions on those shortly).

Anyway my main question for this thread is about the merge system and if there's people actively working on upgrade it to stay current to the current mybb version. It's just that I'll be doing several transfers of the current production phpbb database and it's such a tedious process to have to install 1.2.14 and then upgrade to 1.4.2 (which incidentally I did get hit by that theme loss problem).

If I have to do it half a dozen times it would be nice to not have to reinstall the entire thing each time or keep installing a new version to convert the database over.

I also have an issue with avatars not being brought across properly (even after manually copying the file across) but this could easily have been something I did wrong and will retest the whole process before piping up about that Smile

Anyways, pretty impressed with mybb sofar. It's semi hard getting up to speed with the theme/template system as every system does it differently and there's not heaps of mybb examples out there to learn from.

Thanks,

Paul
ASAIK, you have to g from phpbb2 to MyBB 1.2.14, and then upgrade MyBB in the normal way to 1.4.2.
(2008-09-19, 08:16 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]ASAIK, you have to g from phpbb2 to MyBB 1.2.14, and then upgrade MyBB in the normal way to 1.4.2.

Yeah Sorry I mistyped the version number in my message. I guess I wasn't clear in my message.. I know that you have to merge to 1.2 then upgrade to 1.4 from 1.2 however I was actually asking if there's anyone actively working on updating the merge system so you can go straight to the latest version of mybb.

It's a massive inconvenience especially in the initial testing phases of deciding to change to another board system. And I think it's very offputting for newcomers to have to do that. I was making the point that I have to do it a few times because I need fairly current data migrated from my production phpbb site to the mybb test setup I'm running.

Anyway that was my main question.. sort of fishing for any hints as to how long before we'll be able to merge straight from another system to the 1.4 series.

Thanks for your reply though Smile

Paul
I think it's being worked on. Going from 1.2.14 to 1.4.2 is hardly a chore, can be done within a few minutes.