MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Runtime Error on Line 690
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I get the attached error message when posting messages using IE7 but not Firefox3. It happens on this MyBB Community Forum board as well as my own MyBB board. I did not see this with 1.4.0 but have observed it since using 1.4.2.

On my own board, it happens when I am logged in as a Moderator but not as a Registered user. Here, I am simply a Registered user but it still happens.

It happens when creating a new thread post and occurs at the point of clicking on the Your Message text box after entering a Thread Subject. In fact, even as I type this now, clicking in the Thread Subject edit box and clicking back here reproduces the error.
This might be your computer (or possibly browser), as I've never had this. You're using a very old OS (Windows 95/98??) so there may be something here that is more 'advanced' than the OS can work with.

Weird that it happens as mod but not as reg user though...
Yes Matt, my 'very old' OS is Windows XP SP2.

Also, as a I say, as a regular user on these boards as well.
Please, do not be sarcastic with me. Windows 95/98 showed message windows with that style. I use XP at college and it doesn't display messages like that.
(2008-09-20, 02:21 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Please, do not be sarcastic with me.
Sorry Matt, I can't help it. I know you're trying to be helpful but you just dive in with answers and make lots of (invalid) assumptions. I started out with computers in the days of punch cards and paper tape and wrote programs for Windows 1.0 so I'm not exactly wet behind the ears. Wink
(2008-09-20, 02:36 PM)SteelD Wrote: [ -> ]
Sorry Matt, I can't help it. I know you're trying to be helpful but you just dive in with answers and make lots of (invalid) assumptions. I started out with computers in the days of punch cards and paper tape and wrote programs for Windows 1.0 so I'm not exactly wet behind the ears. Wink

You posted a screenshot of an error that looked very much like Windows 95/98. I remember when I last used that OS, I used to see that error on pretty much every single website I went on, but they were fine on XP. That is why I said what I said. So it wasn't invalid, seeing as from the image you provided, it looked like 95/98.
(2008-09-20, 02:45 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-09-20, 02:36 PM)SteelD Wrote: [ -> ]

You posted a screenshot of an error that looked very much like Windows 95/98. I remember when I last used that OS, I used to see that error on pretty much every single website I went on, but they were fine on XP. That is why I said what I said. So it wasn't invalid, seeing as from the image you provided, it looked like 95/98.
As I said, you are being helpful but you often seem to be putting 2 and 2 together to make 5. It's the old "all cows have 4 legs and therefore all 4-legged animals are cows" or, in this case, "I've seen a similar problem under Windows 95/98 so you must be using Windows 95/98". Do you see what I'm saying?

A seasoned computer professional will always analyse the problem first and collate all the facts before proposing a solution. So, your response should have been "What OS are you using?" and not "You're using Windows 95/98". You probably have some valuable experience under experience under your belt already but you must never fall into the trap of assuming what you do know applies equally well to what you don't know.

Please take this in the vein of guidance and not as a rebuke. Smile
I just came to that conclusion from the look of the error, and past experience of the error.

Anyway, am I right in thinking a runtime error is more to do with the processes the browser takes more than the site itself??
(2008-09-20, 03:12 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I just came to that conclusion from the look of the error, and past experience of the error.

Anyway, am I right in thinking a runtime error is more to do with the processes the browser takes more than the site itself??
Matt

It's a mixture of both. There are bugs in IE (as there are in almost any programme) some of which result in different behaviour between browsers or even error message like this one. The answer is that it is an interaction between a forum script and how the browser processes it. I didn't see this problem in 1.4.0 so my first thought is that some code has changed between the two versions.

If I delve deeper and invoke a debugger, I see that line 690 actually says
for(var sel_start = 0; range_all.compareEndPoints('StartToStart', range) < 0; sel_start++)
This is in a function called storeCaret which suggests that it is trying to track something to do with the cursor and perhaps even the start and ending points of a selection (a guess on my part). However, the code also says further up:

if(MyBB.browser != 'ie' || !this.trackingCaret)
		{
			return;
		}
which is saying that if one of the conditions detected is that the browser is not IE then do nothing i.e. return to the calling code. This will then explain why I don't see the problem under Firefox - this particular part of the script is skipped under Firefox.

Since the error is an 'Invalid Argument' then I would further guess that 'StartToStart' or range is passing some value to another function called range_all.compareEndPoints that it cannot handle. This is where I leave it to the MyBB experts to sort it out.

Interestingly, I note that this thread has now been moved from MyBB Bug Reports to the MyBB General Support Board. I would have thought that it was a bug and therefore logged in the right place... either way, it causes IE to hang after a while.
Hi.

Can you try this: In your IE Options, set all the security levels for Internet/Intranet/Low/High to low. Then try the operation again.
Pages: 1 2