MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Favicon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to somehow change the favicon?

I'm currently just using an iframe but it gets annoying, so is there a way to add a custom favicon?
This was answered in this forum recently.

Upload the favicon, naming it favicon.ico and most modern browsers find it and use it.
(2008-09-20, 02:59 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]This was answered in this forum recently.

Upload the favicon, naming it favicon.ico and most modern browsers find it and use it.

I know I read it and did it but it never worked for me. I'm using Firefox 3 and it just shows the blank page favicon.

If it helps I've uploaded the .ico to the images folder, the root forum directory and my main website directory. Still no luck.
Hmm... have you tried a different browser??

I've also noticed sometimes they take a while to update... I'm not sure exactly why. Try clearing your cookies and cache, I think it might be stored there.
Or you can add the Code to header file

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="Favicon Link Here" type="image/x-icon">
add it to the bottom of header File of the theme ..

maybe this will work
The image needs to be a BMP or an ICO before you start.
(2008-09-20, 09:33 PM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]The image needs to be a BMP or an ICO before you start.

Erm, mine was a gif and it worked.
Well an ICO is a variant of a BMP. You should try to find some kind of converter for the best results. Changing the file extension from GIF to ICO shouldn't work
(2008-09-20, 03:07 PM)Kingbradley6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-09-20, 02:59 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]This was answered in this forum recently.

I know I read it and did it but it never worked for me. I'm using Firefox 3 and it just shows the blank page favicon.

If it helps I've uploaded the .ico to the images folder, the root forum directory and my main website directory. Still no luck.

What's the link to your forum? If you have a favicon.ico, you must place it at your domain root. So if your forum is at http://www.example.com/i/put/my/forum/in.../index.php you still need to put your favicon.ico at http://www.example.com/favicon.ico so that browsers can find it.

Try this online converter if you have a .gif or .jpg: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/
If you search Google for ico converters, you'll find many other online ones that you can try out. You probably will not be successful if you directly change the file extension from a regular image format to .ico.

The exception to the above .ico rule is if you are using the <link> method, in which you can set the URL to an actual image format, not just .ico .

(2008-09-20, 09:34 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-09-20, 09:33 PM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]The image needs to be a BMP or an ICO before you start.

Erm, mine was a gif and it worked.
^ I just renamed it to .ico and it worked. I'm on a Mac though. I don't know if it would handle this differently.
Pages: 1 2