MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DHTML Menus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's already in vB, K4BB, and IceBB, and it's gonna be on IPB soon. Does MyBB plan on going with this trend? 'Coz I hope MyBB makes an official javascript for MyBB boards on this area. After all, if you guys are mixing IPB and vB together, how could the DHTML menus, which both have, not be included Toungue haha.
Yeah it's can be Nice idia but not all the memebrs love the DHTML Menu's.Rolleyes
Would be nice. I've been playing with the vB theme that protocole made. It's fairly straightforward once you dive into it. I just have little issues with it at this point. (navbit formatting in IE) You may want to give that a shot.
When you rely on Javascript wholly for the functionality of something you take away the functionality from those people who have Javascript disabled - and I know alot fo people do.

If we were to implement something like this then we'd have to make sure that it is something usable by people both with Javascript on (which would show the menus) and Javascript off (which would show the menus in a different form formatted with CSS somewhere down the bottom - or we didn't show them at all and kept all existingl inks).

I've written the Javascript to take care of generating the popup menu's - but the latter part is something I haven't looked into yet.

Chris
I have a FireFox extention that turns off Javascript and Java for every website unless I mark it as trusted. Honestly think its a bad idea to rely on Javascript when HTML can work fine. Why not just make a theme with DHTML menus?
Maybe you could just release the code for MyBB users, so that we can implement the menus ourselves.
Listen some one can build it like MOD if he want it he just need to install if the others wont this so don't download the mod like others mod like "BANK" mod or "Store" ModShy
TemplatesForAll Wrote:I have a FireFox extention that turns off Javascript and Java for every website unless I mark it as trusted. Honestly think its a bad idea to rely on Javascript when HTML can work fine. Why not just make a theme with DHTML menus?

Then simply do a check to see if javascript is enabled on the client's computer.

if ($browser['nojavascript']) : $function['popups'] = true; else : $function['popups'] = false endif;

Browsers are getting more advanced, and we cannot dwell on obsolete functioning because of how older browsers work. Have the mybb program show the legacy templates (the ones right now) if the browser does not support and accept javascript, have it show the popup ones if it does.
I think it would be cool to have it, but i dont think it's overly important..or even important at all..
brownchild Wrote:I think it would be cool to have it, but i dont think it's overly important..or even important at all..
That's exactly my view... I think it's a neat idea, but I don't think it's going to make or break MyBB.