MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mirror board for development purposes [mysql Q]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think it'll be safer like that... once I planned to have 2 different prefixes on one database, but when installing the second one I forgot to change the prefix from mybb_ on the installation, so I overwrote the original tables Rolleyes

If they're on seperate databases, you can't do that.

You could also ask a few of your best members to use the test forum to make sure everything's ok.
But if you have 2 forums with the same prefix in 2 different databases, you have to be especially careful that you're working on the correct database Toungue
Touché Toungue

But you don't generally do much with the databases, only really when you install or if there are any SQL errors.
With each upgrade, I make a copy of my current MyBB tables and reimport them under a new prefix (eg. do a massive search / replace). This way I have enough data to see if anything gets broken in the new version's upgrade script.
(2008-09-24, 11:01 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you catastrophically do something wrong, along the lines of causing mass hysteria and ending the world, then a myBB install that uses mybb_ can't effect tables with a prefix of test_...

If it does "corrupt" a database - drop the mybb_, or whichever set you're working with, and re-upload a backup. Rolleyes

its quite easily possible, i've seen many badly written plugins that just hard code "mybb_" into their SQL queries without checking if its got a non-default prefix.

so if you were testing a plugin thats badly written it can start adding tables to your other installation.

however all the plugins are usually pretty safe
Indeed, that's a very good point, and another reason why I always keep databases totally seperate.
But that's not corrupting a database - that's stupidly altering it Toungue

I guess it's just habit whichever way you choose Rolleyes... I just highly doubt I'll be making things that don't check the prefix lol...
You might want to look into using MySQL's or MyBB's replication
(2008-09-29, 10:16 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]But that's not corrupting a database - that's stupidly altering it Toungue

I guess it's just habit whichever way you choose Rolleyes... I just highly doubt I'll be making things that don't check the prefix lol...

personally me neither but hey theres still people that do
Pages: 1 2