MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: issue install and upgrade / loginconvert (from phpbb->1.2-1.41-1.42) + stability Q?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've been playing around with mybb as an option to move away from phpbb..
Anyway I checked back during the last few days and noticed the 1.42 release..

My scenario is install 1.2... merge from phpbb2... upgraded to 1.41.. and everything has been fine.. but now I upgraded to 1.42 and the login convert plugin says it's incompatible??

"This plugin is incompatible with MyBB 1402" When I try to activate it..

I needed it activated with 1.41 so the phpbb2 user accounts could login..

And now I upgraded to 1.42 the phpbb2 users cant login and that plugin doesnt work?..

Or am I missing something?

Not to sound ungrateful for sofar a wonderful looking product.. but given the amount of little bugs I've already come across and seeing so many issues posted about.. is MyBB stable enough for a production forum? Is there a release that is recommended for running in production? (Given that the latest release fixes security issues I assume the recommendation is always the latest?).. The forum I run is relatively busy and commercial orientated however we don't make money from it but people have come to rely on it.. ie. if it's goes down it would be noticed straight away.. I don't mind donating/paying towards mybb if we end up running it to support it.. but am trying to gain confidence in its stability at the moment though. I'd even be happy to contribute in any way I can..

I am realistic in the fact that you can't expect the world without paying for it.. however I'm also a big believer in opensource software having the ability to be much more stable and secure than closed source.. Given the accessibility to the code and more eyes able to fix and spot problems (assuming the correct processes are in place)..

Anyway.. this post isn't meant to be negative in any way.. purely trying to gauge if mybb will be the right software and community for me.. As I'm going through the change over period at the moment I want to make sure I evaluate software properly and make the right decision.

Thanks for your time,

Cheers

Paul
I may be wrong here but surely once the board has been converted to MyBB, there's no need for that plugin anymore?? It would be a bit weird if it was always needed.
(2008-09-25, 07:41 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong here but surely once the board has been converted to MyBB, there's no need for that plugin anymore?? It would be a bit weird if it was always needed.

After you convert the board it actually tells you to copy the loginconvert.php to the inc/plugins directory when using the merge system. This is supposed to allow converted accounts to actually login (presumably because the conversion process doesnt actually convert passwords).

And certainly with 1.4.1 you couldnt login any converted accounts until you activated the loginconvert plugin. It doesnt tell you to activate it then straight away deactivate it..? I'm fairly sure when it was deactivated the accounts couldnt login again.

And as I stated above the converted accounts definitely cant login to 1.4.2 (and this plugin cant be enabled).

One thing I havent tried is reinstalling again but going phpbb->1.2->1.4.2

Surely someone else has converted from another board and gone through this process? (and its either worked or not worked.. ?).. ie. 1.2->1.4.1->1.4.2 ?

Cheers,

Paul
Ah I see... I should really see how this whole merge thing works when I have some free time.

I have an idea (hasn't been tested and don't try it live until someone has confirmed it).

Would it be possible to, now that the forum has been converted to MyBB, make a backup of the tables, and then create a new installation with that??

Or tell you what, you could make a test forum and upload a backup there and see what's what. As it's only a test forum, it would be totally seperate to your current installation, and you can see if the problem goes.
You should be able to open up the file and find a string like "1401" or "1400" and change that to "14*"

I can't check at the moment, since I'm not at my home computer.

Ryan