MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mysterious user not logging off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Bit of a strange one, but I had to play with the template code to redirect the browser if my forum is loaded in just a single frame (without the other two my site was designed for). Ever since successfully adding this code to some of my master templates, a "user" has been present systemattically going through each of my forums. Question is, is this a real user or some sort of bot maybe that's "trapped", can't get out for some strange unforeseen reason and is appearing as a "user" (again for some strange unforeseen reason)???

Or shall I just ignore it and accept that maybe someone out there IS just ploughing through my forum and reading EVERYTHING over and over and over...

Undecided
It's probably a bot - some of them just show as a Guest.

You do know that after a user has been inactive for however long you have set them to stay on the online list for, they'll be logged out anyway, and guests aren't logged in anyway are they...
Yes. When I said "user", I simply meant someone who's viewing the forum so yes, I mean "guest"
Yeah, well it's not that they can't log off or they're 'trapped' because they're not logged in to begin with. Once they navigate away from the site, they'd go off the list of online users.

Once I had a Yahoo bot online almost non-stop for about 2 weeks, it was always on there reading pretty much everything... probably a similar thing here.
OK, still got this issue where some sort of "Guest" simply keeps re-appearing and reading my "help documents". Always 2 minute gaps between concurrent visits - they used to always be viewing my "Member List" but I altered this to be only visible to members and ever since, always my help documents. As I said before, not causing any real issues, but my stats are WELL out now and would really like to ditch these guests. How about if I can get their IP addresses and simply block them? Is this worth trying?
Yeah they're clearly a bot so I'd ban their IP. What is the IP??
and

Done a little research and looks like a comment spammer of some description. Have blocked the IP's and all seems cool now so thank you
If it's not a comment spammer or a "bad bot" then leave it be Smile It scans your forum and adds your pages to search engines and such.

It's all good now though Toungue