MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS Question...but not the normal one that gets asked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I have a question about the RSS feed that is generated by myBB.

I had a look at the feed and it seems to generate an RSS feed of links for all forums.

What I need is something different, and was wondering if it is possible through the admin CP.

I need the RSS feed to be for each individual forum...example, when a user is in the forum category "All about XXX" and they subscribe to the RSS feed, they should be subscribed only to updates in the "All about XXX" category.

Also, I would like the RSS to include the first say 200 charcters of each post, not just the first post listed, and then links to the rest as currently seems to be default.

Any ideas how I set up MyBB to do this?

Many thanks.
I'm 99% sure that would require a mod or plugin of some sort... there's nothing in the ACP for it anyways.
You know...the strange thing is...I checked the RSS on this site, and it does EXACTLY what I need to do.
i.e. Gives user the choice of subscribing to all forums, or just the one they are in, and also gives the whole post more or less for each and every entry.
How is it done?
Ah, so it isn't in the ACP, but if you click RSS Syndication down the bottom, you can select what ones you want.
So, the link to for RSS for the announcements forum and this one, with a limit of 15 threads, is this: http://community.mybboard.net/syndicatio...1&limit=15

Although when I do that on Chrome it shows as plain text Confused
That's because Chrome is not an RSS reader. You will need a seperate program for that. Some browsers have one built in like Firefox or Opera.
If you click RSS syndication at the bottom of any forum, you should be able to choose which forums to syndicate. If it's not allowing you to do that then you may have a custom theme which is bypassing that page.
Seems to be working for me.

I have one problem though...the wrong articles seem to be showing up under the thread titles in RSS view, even though they are fine in the forums.

I have only recently converted from SMF. Do you think this is the problem, or is this common and is there a fix for it?

Many thanks.
What do you mean by this?
(2008-09-25, 06:04 PM)classixuk Wrote: [ -> ]the wrong articles seem to be showing up under the thread titles in RSS view, even though they are fine in the forums.
How are they wrong?? What's wrong about them??
Sorry guys,
I should have given a URL!

hairdressingworld.com/mybb

(I have left that link as copy/paste only as my forum isn't ready yet, but is loaded with existing content from an already live forum. I don't want Google to start crawling the mybb version yet as it's not ready! Thanks)

You will see that if you read the RSS snippet under the article title, it is not correct...click on the title of the article to be taken to the forums and it is fine though)
Pages: 1 2