MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Installation Instructions

Chmod the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).

./inc/settings.php
./inc/config.php
./uploads
./uploads/avatars

Hello. I messed with phpBB, and saw that Chmod was not do-able in Windows. Is that correct? Is myBB (or the Chmod) a linux application only?

Thanks

PS: This is a very nice and very clean Forum program. The best flat styled board I've seen yet. Well done!
You're correct in assuming chmod is only for linux based servers - those instructions are there because (lets face it) the majority of servers are Linux based servers these days.

All that means for Windows users is that the user that Apache is running as (usually as Administrator) just needs write permissions to the MyBB directory - which if it's in a common place they will already have.

When running the installer it'll tell if you if they are writable or not as well.
erm... unless hes asking how you chmod under windows, and not if you can chmod on a windows server

if that is the case then just use flashftp or windows commander/total commander to chmod the files.
OK. I guess the question is: How do you install it on a Windows 2003 server?

If you have direct access to the Windows 2003 server and don't need to ftp it, my thinking is to unzip the file directly to wwwroot, and go from there. Can it be done this simply? Thanks again.
I installed the board on a Windows server hosted by Brinkster and could not get past the point in the install where the tables were populated. A call to the Brinkster support got the directories where I'd installed the forum changed to read/write status and all worked well.

Probably need to go back now and restrict the permissions for security.

Art Martin
artmartin Wrote:I installed the board on a Windows server hosted by Brinkster and could not get past the point in the install where the tables were populated. A call to the Brinkster support got the directories where I'd installed the forum changed to read/write status and all worked well.

Probably need to go back now and restrict the permissions for security.

Art Martin
Art, I got to the Requirements Check: OK:

PHP Version: 5.0.4
PHP XML Extensions: Installed
Configuration File Writable: Writable
Settings File Writable: Writable
File Uploads Directory Writable: Writable
Avatar Uploads Directory Writable: Writable

When I got to the DB Config and entered the data:

Database Engine: MySQL
Database Host: localhost
Database Username: root
Database Password: XXXX
Database Name: mybb (which was created and verified)
Table Prefix: mybb_

I got a blank screen after entering - I can't get the tables populated.

Will the install automatically populate in MySQL/will tables be created, or do you have to do something specifically in MySQL?

I'm trying to run this on IIS6 (not Apache)
the install automatically sets up the database,

but,.. have you created the database info that the mybb installer writes 2?
squall_leonhart69r Wrote:.. have you created the database info that the mybb installer writes 2?
squall, the only thing I've done is create the database file in MySQL - meaning: 1) I Added the DB, and 2) created the DSN that has been verified.

In IIS6, this is usually all I have to do. When you say that I have to create the database info, what else is there/what am I missing? Thanks again

Addition:

Is it possible that my firewall could be giving me grief? With my config above, it is not a localhost install? but WAN to DMZ? I don't think that's it, but...