MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How To Enable New Members Auto Subscription?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I have recently upgraded from 1.2.12 - 1.4.1

Everything went well apart from my old plugins which i know need updating, but thats not the problem.

What i would like to know is how (in 1.4.1) can i make it so when a member joins, he/she automatically is subscribed to threads they reply to by default?

Thanks
They do subscribe to threads they post in by default Confused
No they don't matt. You have to make adjustments for auto-subscribe.
I've never changed any settings and I get email subscriptions. As soon as these forums went to 1.4 I subscribed to every thread I posted in and I didn't change anything.
And when 1.4 came out people were complaining about it.
Did you convert from another forum software at some point? That only tends to happen if you do that.

Mybb does NOT have auto-subscribe to threads by default. I have dozens of mybb installs. None of them auto subscribe.
Well I certainly didn't change my settings when we went to 1.4.0 because I never wanted to subscribe to all the threads I posted in, but then when it automatically happened I realised it was quite useful. But I never turned it on myself.
Well..do a fresh 1.4 install. You might even want to have one as your own test site so you can confirm some of these things before you say it. I think you should be more careful about your advice to people because it's not always accurate. You have a tendency to say things like "mine is like this so I don't know what your problem is" or "it works on mine". Neither answer helps members.

As for helping this guy.

member_register template has this:

Quote:<td colspan="2">
<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
<option value="0" {$no_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
<option value="1" {$no_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
</select>
</td>

Add selected="selected" to the option you want be default. Members of course might change it but you should give them the option at least. Most will just click "register" after entering the default info.
Quote: <option value="2" selected="selected" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

That should be a good solution for you. If you really want to hardcode it. Remove the option and make it a hidden input like this.

Find this:

<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
<option value="0" {$no_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
<option value="1" {$no_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
</select>
</td>

Replace with this:

<input type="hidden" name="subscriptionmethod" value="2" />
</td>

That will not give the option for members and they will be default on signup be subscribed.
No I mean on this forum, I just suddenly started subscribing to threads when we went to 1.4. I made a few posts, logged out, came on the next day and had around 20 emails telling me a new reply had been made, and I didn't tell it to do that at all. I didn't subscribe or receive any emails when these forums were 1.2, but when they were 1.4, I did, that's all Huh And shortly after quite a few people were complaining about it, so is it not reasonable for me to assume that it was meant to be like that??

In the 1.4.1 release thread, it says this: #34956 - Thread Subscriptions

Anyone know specifically what that fix was??
the following code:
<option value="2" selected="selected" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

is already in the template.
do you think it was transferred when i upgraded? as i used it on the old version
dmknights -possibly it was from an old version...

You can download 1.4x and see for yourself that the option isn't selected.

It can either be from a template author who made these changes or possibly a very old mybb version that had this.

Quote:In the 1.4.1 release thread, it says this: #34956 - Thread Subscriptions

Probably because people were auto-subscribed to threads when they should not have been.
Pages: 1 2