MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Web servers....Need to know more about them!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
OK, I say this because I will be saving up for a new laptop.
When I get my new laptop, I want to turn my old one into a cheap server, if at all possible.

What would I need to know about this?
Would it even be considered possible? Where can I learn more about web-servers?
Laptop for a webserver? We're talking a dev server, not a production one right?
For a server, you want something that can run 24/7 without problems. An old HP workstation would do nicely. I used to run a site from an HP Kayak computer
The main limitation of home servers is bandwidth, particularly upstream bandwidth. If it's only going to serve only a few people at most, then it's probably not an issue (but then, do you really need a webserver if that's the case?).
Some people might talk about backup power, though unless you frequently have blackouts, it's probably not an issue generally.
(2008-10-02, 12:23 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]The main limitation of home servers is bandwidth, particularly upstream bandwidth. If it's only going to serve only a few people at most, then it's probably not an issue (but then, do you really need a webserver if that's the case?).
Some people might talk about backup power, though unless you frequently have blackouts, it's probably not an issue generally.

It would only be used by me, and I hardly have power outages, so it shouldn't be a problem. But how would I go about finding my comps bandwidth?
http://speedtest.net/

If it's only for you then don't worry about it.
If you're going to leave it on for more than 16 hours at a time I would look into additional cooling methods since laptops tend to have higher internal temperatures than actual servers thus dropping the life of the hardware substantially. Maybe find a box/case with proper air flow and hook up some fans for continuous cooling, don't forget intake and exhaust.
If it's only for you, I'd probably install it on localhost (faster, easier). (localhost = your computer that you work on)
(2008-10-02, 05:02 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going to leave it on for more than 16 hours at a time I would look into additional cooling methods since laptops tend to have higher internal temperatures than actual servers thus dropping the life of the hardware substantially. Maybe find a box/case with proper air flow and hook up some fans for continuous cooling, don't forget intake and exhaust.

I'd probably turn it off when I go to bed, and there might be days when it stays off.
So keeping the system cooled when it isn't in use, might not be a good idea?

Also, how would I go about setting up a home server?
If I need a certain product, all I know of is ISP config.

Also, if I used it to host sites (Mainly one), how would I go about safely doing that?
What would I need to prevent things such as DDOS attacks?

Also, if its a lin or *nix OS/Server, can there really be that many threatfull viruses made for it?

I know you can mess up win with bat files, and other files.

But *nix doesn't use the .bat extension, so it would be safer then right?
Also safer for people to go to, without havin their OS messed up?
Pages: 1 2 3 4