MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recommended MySQL reading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been working pretty hard lately. Mostly trying to learn a templating package I found, plus the web-mvc pattern. Those are going great, but now my limited MySQL knowledge is absolutely killing me. Which is really ironic... since I picked something simple to avoid having such issues with SQL. Ah well. Dodgy

So, for those who are knowledgeable in MySQL, what books do you recommend? Please, if you're just an amateur don't recommend a book unless it's the holy grail of them.

I specifically need coverage on the following topics, in the order of their importance:
  1. sub-selects
  2. database design (the actual nitty-gritty, not the basics)
  3. JOIN and when (not) to use it

I've got the following:
  • MySQL Cookbook, O'Reilly (mostly on data mangling...)
  • And some old books that are way out of date...
Well you don't really need a MySQL book.

You should look for:

SAMS Teach your self: SQL in 24 hours.

This will teach you all about SQL so that you can use MySQL or any other SQL database program and know what your doing.
Thanks for the reply, Chasingu.

I'm specifically looking for a desk reference that I can use when I get in a bind, and when I want to expand my knowledge of a specific part of the syntax. I already do know something about what I'm doing, and I have two books from 2001 and 2003 that teach MySQL. New features are in version 5, that I know, but the same basic syntax doesn't change. Which is why I'm looking for a good book on version 5 that can serve as a desk reference.

I think I've found something suitable to my needs.
That book does look like it could help you. Glad i could help.
SQL for dummies, I could give you the pirated ebook rapidshit link but I don't know wether that's allowed here.
Go to a library perhaps. They have plenty of books, borrow those you think it will be suitable for your usage.
Death-cap, I wouldn't accept it. I need hardback or paperback books to read as my eyes are bothered by reading on a monitor for too long; a consistent white background does it to me.

Ddren09, I would, but my library likely doesn't have what I need. I'll have to check, as they're quite scarce when it comes to up-to-date programming books.