MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Vs vBulletin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
G'day everyone.

So, I have a network of websites that are slowly opening to the public, and I have debated with myself (yes, DEbated Toungue), over using MyBB or vBulletin.

Currently, I have a site running vBulletin and one running MyBB. I must say, I am EXTREMELY impressed with MyBB (I am a vBulletin fan).

Now, using both, I believe the ONLY thing that MyBB lacks at first glance is a nice theme (Sorry boys, but its not really attractive). I think if the default theme looked better, people will be more inclined to give it a shot.

vBulletin looks great with its default theme, and I think people are prepared to pay for it, because it looks more professional at first glance.

Another thing, MyBB mods. vBulletin has a huge range of mods available for download as well as themes. I think this also plays a big role in choosing software. Because of its wide range of mods and themes, it means less work for site owners, and help when necessary.

Now, to the features. By default, vB has a massive range of features. So many in fact, its easy to get lost in the admin panel. MyBB also has a massive range, except MyBB is tidy and relevant.

vBulletin is heading towards a more social networking sort of field and has forgotten its still forum software, where as MyBB's features are all forum based.

As far as smooth sailing goes, MyBB takes the lead. I have never had a single problem with MyBB. vBulletin seems to break now and then for no obvious reason.

So, to conclude my poorly written review. MyBB will soon be the leading software for forums on the net. Its simple and stable, and soon will have more modders in the community.

Well done!
Welcome to the community.

Thank you for your kind words. MyBB doesn't quite have the publicity that other bulletin board software may have, but it does tend to blow people away.

Thank you again.
Enjoy your time at MyBB. Smile

PS. I've moved the thread to Suggestions and Feedback, as I feel this is very lovely feedback. Big Grin
I just wish they would fix the postbit on the community forum here. Smile It seems to adjust with the length of the usernames. (Probably because it appears to be a fixed width style here.)

So far I have only used vBulletin, but I would consider using MyBB if I ever start any other projects. Especially if it's something that doesn't need all of the social networking/tagging features, etc.

MyBB is the only other forum software that I would feel comfortable using.

As far as breaking, that is usually Operator Error. Wink
(2008-10-02, 02:28 AM)Baldilocks Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish they would fix the postbit on the community forum here. Smile It seems to adjust with the length of the usernames. (Probably because it appears to be a fixed width style here.)

So far I have only used vBulletin, but I would consider using MyBB if I ever start any other projects. Especially if it's something that doesn't need all of the social networking/tagging features, etc.

I would suggest you just set it up on a subdomain or domain and play around with it. Its actually really really good software. vBulletin is also amazing, but like I said, its features are geared towards social networking sites. Where as MyBB's features say "In the forums" if that makes sense. I think the only thing it really lacks its mods, themes, and a nice default template. Other than that, it runs better than vBulletin.

Oh and dude, if its operator error, then how come vBulletin was running fine one moment, then broke the next, and as soon as I reset its CSS (saved it again) it was fixed? Trust me, it breaks on its own. Its like possessed or something...
Really, you like the vBullitin default theme? I think it looks crowded, bland and like someone just discovered the table tag in html but i suppose everyone is entitled to their own oppinion and i suppose the MYBB theme isn't that much better.

I personally don't think MYBB needs a new theme as for one, anyone serious about making a forum will use their own theme of their choice and secondly the default mybb theme is very simple and easy to customise. There is no tricky css or anything so you can easily see how to change it and manipulate it into your own custom theme.
(2008-10-02, 02:35 AM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Really, you like the vBullitin default theme? I think it looks crowded, bland and like someone just discovered the table tag in html but i suppose everyone is entitled to their own oppinion and i suppose the MYBB theme isn't that much better.

I personally don't think MYBB needs a new theme as for one, anyone serious about making a forum will use their own theme of their choice and secondly the default mybb theme is very simple and easy to customise. There is no tricky css or anything so you can easily see how to change it and manipulate it into your own custom theme.

http://www.oztopic.com/

I think it looks a little better than the default theme. Or at least I hope so, I spent all day on the bastard :X
(2008-10-02, 02:34 AM)Peter.D Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-02, 02:28 AM)Baldilocks Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish they would fix the postbit on the community forum here. Smile It seems to adjust with the length of the usernames. (Probably because it appears to be a fixed width style here.)

I would suggest you just set it up on a subdomain or domain and play around with it. Its actually really really good software. vBulletin is also amazing, but like I said, its features are geared towards social networking sites. Where as MyBB's features say "In the forums" if that makes sense. I think the only thing it really lacks its mods, themes, and a nice default template. Other than that, it runs better than vBulletin.

Oh and dude, if its operator error, then how come vBulletin was running fine one moment, then broke the next, and as soon as I reset its CSS (saved it again) it was fixed? Trust me, it breaks on its own. Its like possessed or something...

I've been running vB for quite some time and it's just never stopped working. When it DOES, it's always either a problem with the server, the host or something I did wrong. Smile That's why I say Operator Error.
I agree with you. I HATE USING MYBB DEFAULT THEME! Its so ugly and doesn't look professional at all.. Confused
As a vBulletin user, if I had to pick default themes--MyBB wins hands down.
(2008-10-02, 03:15 AM)OceanLove Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you. I HATE USING MYBB DEFAULT THEME! Its so ugly and doesn't look professional at all.. Confused

Here at MyBB, we respect constructive criticism. Not just blatant criticism that doesn't help anyone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5