MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: max charactors limit help plz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,
for a tut section of my forum people have to do large posts, but mybb is limeted to posting a certain amount of charactors. how do you change the limit?
Go to Admin CP >> Configuration >> Posting and turn the max chatacters limit to 0
I have, yet it still seams to be limiting it
Is ./inc/settings.php CHMODed to 666?a
yea, its a large amount of text im trying to post, it comes up in the perveiw after clicking submit just, wont come up on the forum, just cuts out after a certain amount of text
How many characters is it being cut off at? (copy what is left after you preview, and check it in Microsoft Word or similar with the Word Count tool)

Also, what is your server's post_max_size setting? (this can be found in your PHP Info at Admin CP --> Tools & Maintenance --> PHP Info).
I'm having the same problem. Settings.php is 0666 and the setting for max post size does change. I have been changing it from "0" to "512000" and other settings just trying to see if there is any change, but my post keeps getting truncated at 64K (65536). Please help posts need to be a lot longer than this and I know MyBB is supposed to be able to handle it.
There is a hard limit imposed by MySQL datatype of the message column, there is also a hard limit imposed by the Post data max size variable in PHP.

The MySQL maximum field size for text is 65535 characters so that sounds like your problem ta2025 and there is nothing really you can do about this apart from spiting it into two posts.

paul_so40 can you do as Dennis says and see what your post_max_size value is and if it is different (and lower) than th MySQL text field size then this will be your limiting factor and you might be able to ask your host to raise it.
You could change the message column type to longtext, but yeah, there's only so much a column can hold, and 65535 is plenty for 99.9%+ of forums. The only reason this isn't being fixed in a maintenance release is a change like this would kill servers with large posts tables during the upgrade script, IIRC in an ALTER TABLE command it creates a new table with the new structure and moves all the content to the new one, doing that on multimillion post databases, and less than that, will be quite processor intensive.
(2010-02-20, 01:16 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]You could change the message column type to longtext, but yeah, there's only so much a column can hold, and 65535 is plenty for 99.9%+ of forums. The only reason this isn't being fixed in a maintenance release is a change like this would kill servers with large posts tables during the upgrade script, IIRC in an ALTER TABLE command it creates a new table with the new structure and moves all the content to the new one, doing that on multimillion post databases, and less than that, will be quite processor intensive.

Yes I was very hesitant to change it to longtext (I investigated that) due to the problems that you just verified with upgrades.

Is there any change we will see it changed to long text? are there really any ramifications if it were changed officially? People on my boards like to copy articles and they are not sophisticated enough to understand database limits. They just decide that its broken, yell at me and then leave for another board.
Pages: 1 2