MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removal of MySQL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MySQL or MySQLi is used for making forums. For newer users, it's pain in the butt.

Is there a way to save everything in flat files, like CutePHP or FusionNews do now? The passwords would be encrypted in the database and stuff, so it'd just work perfectly. That way, if someone was making a new forum, they could copy all that stuff without MySQL. Many hosts also don't support MySQL or any other SQL servers. I was thinking that every release of MyBB came with a no-SQL pack where it was a ZIP file that needn't SQL.
(2008-10-06, 02:04 AM)Cultred Wrote: [ -> ]Many hosts also don't support MySQL or any other SQL servers.

That's not true. There are plenty of free hosts out there that support MySQL. Certainly, all paid hosts support at minimum MySQL.
(2008-10-06, 02:04 AM)Cultred Wrote: [ -> ]Many hosts also don't support MySQL or any other SQL servers.

these hosts suck
Some free hosts only offer MYSQL via a paid option.
(2008-10-06, 02:04 AM)Cultred Wrote: [ -> ]MySQL or MySQLi is used for making forums. For newer users, it's pain in the butt.

Is there a way to save everything in flat files, like CutePHP or FusionNews do now? The passwords would be encrypted in the database and stuff, so it'd just work perfectly. That way, if someone was making a new forum, they could copy all that stuff without MySQL. Many hosts also don't support MySQL or any other SQL servers. I was thinking that every release of MyBB came with a no-SQL pack where it was a ZIP file that needn't SQL.

With MyBB 1.4, it is possible to use different DBMS such as PostgreSQL and SQLite. SQLite is a file-based DBMS and you can check if your host supports it.
(2008-10-06, 05:38 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Some free hosts only offer MYSQL via a paid option.

Then find a different free host ... there are plenty that offer this. Or use an offsite MyBB hosting service. You can't expect everything for free (as you should know Wink)
Well if you need a MySQL Database just sign up at 000webhost.com.

Yes i know they suck but, they have databases.

Plus, your idea would throw off thousands of MyBB sites using MySQL. Think of all the time it would take to convert your database. It would be chaos. Plus, if you had a shared server, it would be a Security Hazard.
Okay, some hosts don't support SQL servers. Anyways, I never said that MyBB should really switch, but more make a SQL-free version in a different ZIP file for future releases.

My host supports SQL, but some people's don't. If you have a friend who runs on a paid host and that friend offers you hosting, you don't have access to their phpMyAdmin or anything. That is why FusionNews and CutePHP don't use SQL or SQLite, but then again, they're for news on your website.
News scripts aren't forum scripts. Forum scripts face different challenges than blog type scripts do.

For one, I see this as totally unnecessary, as only a very very small portion of the population actually don't have a DBMS, and anyone likely to have a site which would go anywhere should be on a host with a DBMS.
Secondly, file based systems have many problems, primarily file locking. This isn't so much of an issue with blogs, since most blogs don't get updated that often. On the other hand, forums typically are constantly updated, so a file based system quickly becomes very problematic.
Yes, I have seen file based systems have major synchronisation issues when it came to two people posting at the same time. At that was just on a message board system (not a bulletin board, with multiple categories/forums).
Pages: 1 2