MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: scheduled backup runs not exactly at specified time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since a few days I've set up a scheduled daily backup via the Tools & Maintenance option. The first 3 backups were done as follows:

Creation date:
06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM

The task however is set to 0 minutes, 23 hours and * every day of the month. The task manager confirms this, it shows that it will backup every day at 23:00 PM. But as you can see the time differs from backup to backup. It's a minor issue, but still I'd like to know if this can be fixed so that it roughly runs the task at the specified time?
They only run when someone is online, so if nobody is online when the task should run, it won't.
(2008-10-06, 03:29 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]They only run when someone is online, so if nobody is online when the task should run, it won't.
Huh? Why?

Again: why? Huh
That's just how they work.
It's fairly simple. Not everyone knows how to setup a cron job to ensure this is done automatically (server-side), so myBB have setup a good system where a job will run the next time someone goes to the forum.

So if you set a job to run at 11pm, but nobody visits until 2am, then it will run at 2am...

It doesn't really matter when it does the backup, because nobody is using the site unless they visit it... Shy
And if your forum is so dead that there aren't enough people to trigger the tasks there probably won't be much change between previous backups anyway.
(2008-10-06, 04:03 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't really matter when it does the backup, because nobody is using the site unless they visit it... Shy
I thought it would be nice if it automaticly backed up the forum data at the end of every day. So after the forum has been active during the day it automaticly backsup the databse just before midnight. Ah well, too bad. Thanks for the explanations.
I don't know if this is possible (just an idea the literally just came to me) but would it be possible to create a user and create a script of sorts to make it come on at a specific time and trigger the task??
You could retro-fit the myBB coding and create a seperate script to create a backup - then setup a cron job on your server to run the script.

Or, to stop all of that and you use a sort-of control panel (cPanel etc.), program that to take a backup of the files and database...
(2008-10-07, 08:12 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Or, to stop all of that and you use a sort-of control panel (cPanel etc.), program that to take a backup of the files and database...
Interesting, I am a cpanel user on this current hosting account. I'll look into it Smile
Pages: 1 2