MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin option: "View board as membergroup x"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My idea for a future release of MyBB would be an option for admins to view the forum as a certain usergroup. So when you're for example on the main page, you can select from a dropdown list:
Quote:View the forum as usergroup:
- Moderators
- Registered users
- Custom group 1
- Custom group 2
- Back to admin view

This way you can view your forum with different permissions with a few easy clicks instead of having a seperate account for all the different usergroups to test your permission settings etc. So basicly you temporarily switch your account and can "revert back" to the admin rights any time you want.

I don't know how much time this takes and if it's worth the resources, but I'd certainly like it Smile
I like the idea actually. I know I usually make a test account just to make sure people can see and do what they are supposed to be able to since as Admin you can do what ever you want.
(2008-10-07, 12:23 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea actually. I know I usually make a test account just to make sure people can see and do what they are supposed to be able to since as Admin you can do what ever you want.
Exactly. Sometimes it takes months to discover an error you made with permissions or something else cause you are always logged in as admin.
I don't think a full-blown "let me see what membergroup x sees" is needed to be honest...

A simpler and easier version of this would be to make some sort of "Forum-Tree". Basically like a site map, but has a list of forums and areas where the membergroup can see...
There is an plugin that lets you "Hijack" accounts to test perms.

I realised I had locked standard members out of my staff forum and let banned members in. . . I made a let banned users post threads in a certain forum (The unban me forum) and didnt realise I had allowed them to view and post in the staff forum!

I like this idea though. I dont like plugins.

Please implement Smile

Thanks
-Fmjc001
(2008-10-10, 06:22 PM)fmjc001 Wrote: [ -> ]I dont like plugins.

I Heart 50MB downloads for 1 forum software!
(2008-10-15, 07:00 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]

They can be good, I admit. However I would much rather have all the stuff pre-installed. Much less work for the end user Big Grin
(2008-10-15, 07:05 PM)fmjc001 Wrote: [ -> ]

They can be good, I admit. However I would much rather have all the stuff pre-installed. Much less work for the end user Big Grin

And for the people who just want a discussion board, less the CMS, games, icons flying everywhere, preloaded video and background music, a multitude of dazzling themes, 100 other plugins that probably won't ever get activated?
(2008-10-15, 07:24 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-15, 07:05 PM)fmjc001 Wrote: [ -> ]

And for the people who just want a discussion board, less the CMS, games, icons flying everywhere, preloaded video and background music, a multitude of dazzling themes, 100 other plugins that probably won't ever get activated?

I see your point, when you say it like that... But still, its better to have and not want than to want and not have right?

Lol, Anyway Dennis, MyBB is by far the best BB software I have ever seen. Good Job buddy! Smile
(2008-10-10, 06:22 PM)fmjc001 Wrote: [ -> ]There is an plugin that lets you "Hijack" accounts to test perms.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest using. I *LOVE* that plugin. Besides the load of fun I have screwing with my users (lol), it does come in handy for testing out various things with different usergroups.
Pages: 1 2