MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Firefox Login Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just upgraded to 1.4 for MyBB and have noticed the following issue:

When any user tries to login using IE everything works, they login and get returned to the main forum page and can continue from there. When a user logs in using Firefox they get the 'sucessfully logged in' screen but when they get returned to the main forum page they are not logged in.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also happens in Chrome.
Also, set up a test user:
http://forum.effect47.com

user: Tester
pwrd: tester
Logins work fine for me. Make sure you haven't disabled cookies in Firefox.
I deleted my cookies for my forum and this appeared to resolve the issue. Thanks for the help.
Another minor Firefox problem: When using the Welcome panel login, FF doesn't recognize and auto fill the password field when I have it set to remember the password (not the "Remember Me" check box). When switching from admin to my test user account, I have to type out the password.

It's a minor thing, and I think it has something to do with the fact that the field is hidden until the user clicks "log in".
(2008-10-07, 02:59 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Another minor Firefox problem: When using the Welcome panel login, FF doesn't recognize and auto fill the password field when I have it set to remember the password (not the "Remember Me" check box). When switching from admin to my test user account, I have to type out the password.

It's a minor thing, and I think it has something to do with the fact that the field is hidden until the user clicks "log in".

Surely that's a FF setting??
Not really... it's actually to do with Prototype or Javascript. For example, I can save my user details, but it will not work for the quick-login - because the fields are auto-focussed when you click login.

However, it does work if you use the normal login boxes (such as when you fail to enter the right password).

I don't think there is a workaround for it except to use cookies to store data, which can be quite volatile...
Or just have the login boxes show by default, but that breaks the registration page... [Image: neutral.png]
Oh I see, yeah no browser automatically puts the username or password in the new log in box for me.
(2008-10-07, 02:59 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Another minor Firefox problem: When using the Welcome panel login, FF doesn't recognize and auto fill the password field when I have it set to remember the password (not the "Remember Me" check box). When switching from admin to my test user account, I have to type out the password.

The username and password boxes are dynamically created in the DOM when "Login" is clicked. Firefox does not know about these boxes at page load, so they are not automatically filled in. That is my understanding of how it works.
Two users in my forum complained about this issue (Firefox doesn't remember password for quick login). I don't use the Firefox Password Manager so I didn't notice before, but I could reproduce the issue (while some other users claimed that it was working for them).

My workaround is simple:
I removed the login form generation code from general.js and instead put it into the header template (guests welcome). There it sits in a <span> that starts out as "display: none" so it's hidden.

The JavaScript function then, instead of generating a form, simply does $('welcome_guest').hide(); $('quick_login').show(), which causes the quick login to appear, with the remembered login data already filled.

I won't post the code here since I also modified other parts of the quick login (focus, blur actions, they caused confusion because the javascript would fill the password with "Password", which gets displayed as ***, leading users into believing they'd already entered their passwords), so I'm not sure if this fix applies to original MyBB code at all.