MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced (super)moderator permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One thing I currently miss in MyBB is advanced permissions for (super)moderators. As far as I know you can make somebody moderator or super moderator. But you can't change things like (on the top of my head):

- Is allowed to Ban/Unban users
- Is allowed to Edit users profiles
- Is allowed to post announcements
- Is allowed to delete more than x posts per 24 hours

These kind of tweaks are imo a real added value. It makes it possible to make a distinction between certain kind of (super)moderator groups. Same goes for the Moderator control panel.

And something related to this is the current system for deletion of posts. As far as I know if a moderator deletes a post/thread it is deleted forever. I'd like a setting where you can set that the post is "deleted" temporarily (users can't see it anymore) but not physically until an Admin has reviewed the deletion or certain delegated members.

Angel
Best as custom plugin. I don't see a great need for the settings you ask for.
Nice idea bro.
(2008-10-09, 05:05 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Best as custom plugin. I don't see a great need for the settings you ask for.

I will agree with this one here. Plus if you can't trust your staff they shouldn't be staff.
Or create another moderator group with less permissions than a super moderator.
(2008-10-09, 05:05 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see a great need for the settings you ask for.
Why give people many extra permissions while you simply want somebody to be able to moderate the content of a specific forum for example. If somebody is only keeping an eye on the content why would somebody be able to ban people and/or post announcements? If I want to run a forum in a specific way I don't see the need why other staff members will automatically be able to do all kinds of things I as the admin don't want them to do or they simply don't need to do. I'd like a much more flexible system in which you can customize the permissions so that staff members can do what they actually need to do.

Quote:Plus if you can't trust your staff they shouldn't be staff.
It's not about trust, it's about being able to customize the forum to your liking. I don't see why you should give people tools they don't need for their job. Just like an organization, there are always a bunch of different managers with different permissions and they're all part of the whole organization but are allowed to do different things. Some more than others and some get different tools then others to get their job done. But in the end they're all managers.
(2008-10-09, 08:32 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-09, 05:05 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Best as custom plugin. I don't see a great need for the settings you ask for.

I will agree with this one here. Plus if you can't trust your staff they shouldn't be staff.

(2008-10-10, 02:05 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Or create another moderator group with less permissions than a super moderator.

Seconded.

Anyway, I can't see the point - then there'd be mods, supermods, super-super mods, admins, and super-admins. Is there really any need??
(2008-10-10, 08:43 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I can't see the point - then there'd be mods, supermods, super-super mods, admins, and super-admins. Is there really any need??
IMO, yes.

1. Admin [all admin tasks]
2. Mod leader Entertainment section [can confirm bans; can confirm deletion posts/threads; can post announcements in entertainment section]
3. Moderator 1 Entertainment section [can edit posts/profiles/avatars/move threads etc]
4. Moderator 2 Entertainment section [can edit posts/profiles/avatars/move threads etc]

5. Editorial Moderator 1 Entertainment section [can edit posts/move threads etc]
6. Editorial Moderator 2 Entertainment section [can edit posts/move threads etc]

7. Etcetera

Just as an example.
I agree with this suggestion. I would not be reviewing my logs constantly if i knew moderators could not accidentily delete a thread or ban someone by accident. (My boards mods are all kids like myself, but I am quite a savvy user)

I would like to set the perms for each moderator/group seperatly the way the admin perms let you choose what to allow access to and what to deny access to. It would also give a more secure board. You could do as Zoog said and have different types of gmods with certain perms. I like the way you can set perms for standard mods. Please implement this on gmods too.

All in favour say "I"

Fmjc001 says: "I!"

No rush MyBB, I just think this would be a good setting for ease of mind and extra security. i trust my mods, but everyone makes mistakes, Like accidentily deleting a users thread when trying to stick it...(Long Story)

Thanks,
-Fmjc001

Ps - MyBB rocks! Toungue
It's very hard to ban a user by accident as it requires a few steps. But if such a thing must be had, like labrocca said, it should be a plugin.
Pages: 1 2