MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Portal for Index
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any themes or plug ins for this page set up or a portal place to go to to get My BB within the others Forums online, there are so many new forums out there with excellent themes and portal pages with all the scrolling image things and ad boxes and banners...

i have 1.4 and jsut upgraded to 1.4.2 and I want to get my forum the way i want, its been a year now and i cant seem to get it the way i want ...
I see so many other forum softwares that were behind this one and now , i see others with better themes and better portal and nice layouts, is this due to those making plug ins and themes for money now at MY BB?
Styling myBB to the way you want it is actually quite an easy process, providing you know enough about html and css. Read up on a few tutorials on the web, and make a test board, and just mess around with it.

There are many plugins available for myBB, some of which you do need to pay for. The mods here at myBB's site are totally free however. Google is a good friend for things like this...

I don't know of a sure fire way of getting the portal to be the index page, but check out this previous topic about doing this...
Especially this post:

(2008-10-06, 03:41 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Crazy suggestion... in fact, I barely give out sane ones...

If I'm thinking what you're thinking, then why not name the file "index.php" to "forum.php" and rename "portal.php" to "index.php".

Update links accordingly, et viola...

I think that's how people do it.
My crazy suggestion works?! Huh

I'm using myBB to build an Intranet at work as part of a CMS, and one of the things I needed to do is to stop everybody (apart from publishers, management and IT) accessing the forum index. But, in retrospect, people still need to be able to navigate easily. So, I altered the breadcrumbs to include the main index of the site and the forum index too.

In global.php

// Add our main parts to the navigation
$navbits = array();
$navbits[0]['name'] = $mybb->settings['bbname_orig'];
$navbits[0]['url'] = $mybb->settings['bburl']."/index.php";

Can be changed to

// Add our main parts to the navigation
$navbits = array();
$navbits[0]['name'] = $mybb->settings['bbname_orig'];
$navbits[0]['url'] = $mybb->settings['homeurl'];
$navbits[1]['name'] = "Intranet Forum";
$navbits[1]['url'] = $mybb->settings['bburl']."/index.php";

This way, when I visit the Intranet, I get "Intranet >> {page}", and when I visit the forum, I get "Intranet >> Intranet Forum >> {forum}".

Obviously you can edit the codes to include whatever structure you want... including a difference between portal and forum index.

I suppose you could just alter the templates, but that wouldn't be much fun...
I think it does, from the people I've seen who have the portal as their index, it's something very similar to that if it isn't exact.
appreciate the response and or replies. thanks every little bit helps.
this software here is a versatile. i kind of thought that since the release time of 1.4 and the early release of the updates were a one of the same split up, to offset a few issues...
Thanks to Matt and Tom and of Course, many to MY BB team and staff for the software and hard work.. and all the mentors help and support teams.