MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Localhost cookie problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, I've installed WAMPP and copied my forum across and all looks well but I can't log in. Despite following all the cookie advice and running the tool supplied in the Wiki thread on this, I just can't get cookies to work and hence log in.

My computer is called Cello and the forums are under project/forums in the root folder. I have tried:

cello
.cello
localhost
.localhost

as the domain, and

/
/project/forums/
c:/wamp/www/project/forums/

as the cookie path. All to no avail. Any ideas?
Cookie Domain: localhost
Cookie Path: /

Clear your cookies afterwards.
Also try leaving cookie domain blank.
Tried that as well but wasn't sure how I'd represent that in my post. Nothing seems to work. I have my cookie prefix set to local_ so I can see in FF if they show up but nothing seems to be created. Is there a permissions issue when running as localhost?
No.
Have you tried this on other browsers?
Yes, it's a no-no on both IE7 and FF3. Haven't gone as far as trying Safari or Chrome but if it doesn't work with IE or FF, I wouldn't expect much difference from less mainstream browsers.
Clear your cookies and try again?
To be honest, I have several websites running across our network and not finding any problems with cookies and localhosts... my settings are blank - domain is blank with cookie path just a /.

It might not make any difference, but what server software are you using - i.e. have you installed Apache etc. by yourself or XAMPP/WAMPP?...
OK, I think I have it working. In FF, I was only clearing the cookies that were clearly identified with my forum. Note that I use different cookie prefices for the Web-based forum and the local mirrored forum.

So, I cleared ALL cookies (it's a pain to have to enter usernames, passwords and other info for all other Web sites all over again) and this seems to have solved the problem. I can now log in and there is now a cookie group called localhost with cookies appearing using the correct prefix.

So, despite the desired cookies not being seen to be present, something was stopping cookies from working properly until the whole lot was cleared.
Some browsers get a bit confused (probably more of a security measure to be more accurate) if cookie settings get changed, and just end up rejecting them, which is why clearing cookies is recommended.
Pages: 1 2