MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Old Thread Warning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2008-10-16, 03:26 AM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]Would it not be more logical to create a plug in that closes a forum after there's been no replies for so many days, and maybe have it select the amount of days?

This isn't the same functionality at all. Confused
You don't want to trash threads mostly because it's still content for the search engines. However you don't want old posts say...2 years old brought up to the top either. This plugin would allow that but at the same time discourage it. It's a good idea and why I will make it. Some will find this invaluable. I always liked this feature at some of the vb forums that have it.

Expect this to get done. It should be pretty easy for me.
Defintely a great idea.
Sorry to bump on old thread but this is actually on topic Smile !
I'm looking for this plugin (warn users of topic's age before answering) and I can't find any info about it; does it exist ? Is it still in dev ? Is it a dead project ? It would be a great addition to MyBB.
(2010-03-12, 04:25 PM)AliaErenel Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to bump on old thread but this is actually on topic Smile !
I'm looking for this plugin (warn users of topic's age before answering) and I can't find any info about it; does it exist ? Is it still in dev ? Is it a dead project ? It would be a great addition to MyBB.

Wow, are you serious.

The whole point of this would be to prevent posts like yours, you should have started a new thread.
My point exactly. However you didn't answer the question. Does that make you a troll ?
(2010-03-12, 09:59 PM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]The whole point of this would be to prevent posts like yours, you should have started a new thread.
What's wrong with bumping old threads?
It ruins the topic/thread. People will visit this thread reading from first post to last like normal and will focus on the first post like normal, only to find out later that the relavent information is the last post. So the people who were involved in this thread 2 years ago who are most likely no longer interested in it (since it fell so far down) are going to be getting replies and probably won't even realize it.

Now had he posted his own thread, his post would be the primary topic which would be more beneficial to him since all replies will be focused on his question and not the original post. As it stands now, his question is on the 2nd page and there is a good chance people will read the first post and respond to that (which is the correct way to reply to a thread since hijacking is rude) potentially burying his question and adding input to a thread that died 2 years ago for one reason or another.
(2010-03-13, 08:22 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]It ruins the topic/thread. People will visit this thread reading from first post to last like normal and will focus on the first post like normal, only to find out later that the relavent information is the last post. So the people who were involved in this thread 2 years ago who are most likely no longer interested in it (since it fell so far down) are going to be getting replies and probably won't even realize it.
That's a fair number of assumptions you make there. Many topics remain relevant for long periods of time, including this one. By bumping an old thread, it helps keep content in-tact, including all relevant info being referred to.
The post dates are readily displayed in the side for a reason, not just there to look pretty. Besides, there's a "jump to unread post" button as well.

(2010-03-13, 08:22 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Now had he posted his own thread, his post would be the primary topic which would be more beneficial to him since all replies will be focused on his question and not the original post. As it stands now, his question is on the 2nd page and there is a good chance people will read the first post and respond to that (which is the correct way to reply to a thread since hijacking is rude) potentially burying his question and adding input to a thread that died 2 years ago for one reason or another.
But what if the question is in the first post of the thread (as is this one)?
It just so happens that a reply to the question or the first post is as relevant.
Touche salesman. This thread is probably the one exception to the rule, but in general my statement holds true. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3