MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
One of the two entries isn't even MyBB (this one) it's written in perl.
(2008-11-16, 02:27 AM)Cultred Wrote: [ -> ]WOW

phpBB has their own website, not hosted by SourceForge. They use SourceForge, however, Same with the CMS software Fusion News.

They're desperate, huh... ShyBig Grin
(2008-11-16, 02:16 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT:
I just noticed, that MyBB already has two entries at SourceForge. Both are horribly outdated (not updated > 1 year, MyBB 1.2).

Hm, we didn't put them there
(2008-10-12, 09:17 AM)Beatrix Kiddo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe it!
Well, this is good news, and at least it will bring an end to the "Will mybb always be free?" questions! Big Grin
I just can't believe it!

ya.. its really unbelievable.. anyhow.. this answers many questions.. thang god atlast..lol.. best luck
I have a question. I have no intention of redistributing MyBB in any way so rest assure i wont do that Wink
But since i work on my projects as well. I was wondering can i take the style+html structure of the installer and change it to fit my needs leaving the credits in the css and in html i will add a coment saying that as well!?
(2009-08-22, 11:30 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question. I have no intention of redistributing MyBB in any way so rest assure i wont do that Wink
But since i work on my projects as well. I was wondering can i take the style+html structure of the installer and change it to fit my needs leaving the credits in the css and in html i will add a coment saying that as well!?

I'm pretty sure this is within the limits of the license(as long as it's released under the GPL or one of its compatible licenses).
Well altho i read in wiki they dont get straight with it and explain what gnu gpl v2 or v3 mean unlike how chris did it in the other topic
But basically what i release can be downloaded by other people who can use&modify the source however they want but they must not redistribute it all
You cannot copyright design theory. This means that as long as you don't use copyrighted images, you can re-create the same exact design and do whatever you want with it.
(2009-08-23, 03:18 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]You cannot copyright design theory. This means that as long as you don't use copyrighted images, you can re-create the same exact design and do whatever you want with it.

True but, well we know he used the installers code just change the sql basically for his script. There is design theory and copying.

I would say send an email to GNU about this Wink. They'll give you a clear a answer. But, if you use it then it must be under the GPL (or one of their accepted licenses) which means it can be freely redistributed.
(2009-08-23, 03:52 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]True but, well we know he used the installers code just change the sql basically for his script. There is design theory and copying.

(2009-08-22, 11:30 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering can i take the style+html structure of the installer and change it to fit my needs leaving the credits in the css and in html i will add a coment saying that as well!?

He just wants to use the design, which is perfectly fine to use. Furthermore, even if he was using PHP and MySQL, there wouldn't be a problem either. How the hell do you copyright something like that? I must be in some serious legal trouble...

All joking aside, once again you cannot copyright design theory. Take as much as you want from the software. When you start taking verbatim code from MyBB, that's when you need to acknowledge you borrowed code and include a license. Not when you're using a universal design.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14