MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Config.php settings on Wiindows server, Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I am new to MyBB, and am excited about transitioning my website, to a BB style. I tried searching for an answer to my question, and have looked on the Wiki, but was unable to find the information I was looking for.

I have uploaded the MyBB files, but am having with the CHMOD step. I am not using Linux, so I understand I do not need to CHMOD, but, on the "Requirements Check" screen, I am having problems.
I received the following error messages
Error
The MyBB Requirements check failed due to the reasons below. MyBB installation cannot continue because you did not meet the MyBB requirements. Please correct the errors below and try again:

The configuration file (inc/config.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The settings file (inc/settings.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The cache directory (cache/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The uploads directory (uploads/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

Now when I go into Filezilla, to change the settings of thos files, there are several options. All the boxes are unchecked at the moment, but it is seperated into Owner, Group, and Public rows, each row has boxes for "read" "write" and "execute". I assume that I need to check "write" for all 3 user settings, but shoudl I also check execute for all users?

By the way I am using GoDaddy if it matters.

Appreciate the help, thanks....

Dave
The files always need to be CHMODd so MyBB can write to them. It needs to write the settings when you save them, write the database settings on installation, be able to upload files and avatars, etc etc. The difference is some FTPs do it automatically (for example Vista Panel), some don't (for example CPanel).

IIRC to get it to 666 you fully tick the top 2 rows, and to get 777 you tick all the boxes. Files need to be 666, folders need to be 777. I'm assuming you're seeing a box something like this:

[Image: changepermissionsoptions.png]

Mine has User, Group and World where yours has Owner, Group and Public but they mean the same thing really.

./inc/config.php > 666
./inc/settings.php > 666
./cache/ > 777
./cache/themes/ > 777
./uploads/ > 777
./uploads/avatars/ > 777

./inc/languages/*select language*/all files > 666 (to edit language files via ACP)
./inc/languages/*select language*/admin/all files > 666 (to edit language files via ACP)
./admin/backups/ > 777 (to save backups via the ACP).

Bold is compulsory, italics is optional but useful to do.
(2008-10-13, 09:50 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]The files always need to be CHMODd so MyBB can write to them. It needs to write the settings when you save them, write the database settings on installation, be able to upload files and avatars, etc etc. The difference is some FTPs do it automatically (for example Vista Panel), some don't (for example CPanel).

IIRC to get it to 666 you fully tick the top 2 rows, and to get 777 you tick all the boxes. Files need to be 666, folders need to be 777. I'm assuming you're seeing a box something like this:

[Image: changepermissionsoptions.png]

Mine has User, Group and World where yours has Owner, Group and Public but they mean the same thing really.

./inc/config.php > 666
./inc/settings.php > 666
./cache/ > 777
./cache/themes/ > 777
./uploads/ > 777
./uploads/avatars/ > 777

./inc/languages/*select language*/all files > 666 (to edit language files via ACP)
./inc/languages/*select language*/admin/all files > 666 (to edit language files via ACP)
./admin/backups/ > 777 (to save backups via the ACP).

Bold is compulsory, italics is optional but useful to do.

Hi Matt thanks for the reply, very helpful. I think I understand, but want to make sure of one thing. You mentioned that all the files should be 666. The example screen shot you posted was the config.php, which I assume is a file, not a folder. Should I only have the top 2 rows "checked" for config.php? I just want to double check since the screen shot, had all three rows checked.

Thanks so much for your help Matt. Appreciate it.

Dave
True, that screenshot was for something else but that's the best I had to show you. You can have all files and folders CHMODd to 777 if you want to, I think I do, it won't make a difference, but as a minimum, files have to be 666 and folders have to be 777. But yeah, having the top 2 rows checked will be fine for files.
Thanks so much Matt. I am really glad you included the pic, it really helped connect the dots. I figured it was for something else. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something, because I have never set up a BB before, and have alot to learn.
No problem Smile Don't worry, you'll pick it up real quick Smile
(2008-10-13, 09:46 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]No problem Smile Don't worry, you'll pick it up real quick Smile

Evidently not quick enough. As I mentioned previously I am using FileZilla and am on a Windows Server. When I right clicked on the file, then clicked on "File Attributes", the box came up similar to your screen shot. I made it "666", and the appropriate boxes became checked, everything was checked except "execute" for all 3 users settings.
Unfortunately after clicking "ok" to save the settings, I received the following message.

"Status: Set permissions of '/Forum/inc/config.php' to '666'
Command: CWD /Forum/inc
Response: 250 CWD command successful.
Command: SITE CHMOD 666 config.php
Response: 500 'SITE CHMOD 666 config.php': command not understood"

Any fixes? Should I try a new FTP instead of FileZilla?

Thanks,

Dave
(2008-10-14, 01:53 AM)saveonpar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-13, 09:46 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]No problem Smile Don't worry, you'll pick it up real quick Smile

Evidently not quick enough. As I mentioned previously I am using FileZilla and am on a Windows Server. When I right clicked on the file, then clicked on "File Attributes", the box came up similar to your screen shot. I made it "666", and the appropriate boxes became checked, everything was checked except "execute" for all 3 users settings.
Unfortunately after clicking "ok" to save the settings, I received the following message.

"Status: Set permissions of '/Forum/inc/config.php' to '666'
Command: CWD /Forum/inc
Response: 250 CWD command successful.
Command: SITE CHMOD 666 config.php
Response: 500 'SITE CHMOD 666 config.php': command not understood"

Any fixes? Should I try a new FTP instead of FileZilla?

Thanks,

Dave

Similar problem somewhat addressed here.

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=20229
Perhaps I should change to linux.
I would recommend it. CPanel and Vista Panel are good and easy to use. Whenever you see a 500 error it's usually some sort of server issue, may be unrelated in this case though.