MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: create new category: persmissions not saved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everytime when I create a new category and set the permissions during the creation process these settings are reverted back to the standard permissions once the category has been created. I'm having this problem in 1.4.2. When I set the permissions again when the category already exists the settings are succesfully updated and saved.
From memory, someone else had this problem once and it was to do with their cache I think. May have been some other permissions though.
I just had yet another strange permission problem while moving a forum to a new category. The forum I moved was located under a category where all permissions were standard. The forum permissions itself were also standard for that particular forum except that "Registered users" could not start a thread. I moved the forum to a new category which had all the standard permissions except yet again the permission for "Registered users" to start a new thread.

One of my super moderators tried to view a thread which was inside the newly moved forum but he wasn't able to (not allowed error). I logged out to see for myself. As a guest I also was not allowed to view the topic (while the permissions were standard for guests = allowed to view). I immediately checked every other forum as a guest user and encountered the same problem in 1 other forum (which hadn't been moved nor changed recently). I refreshed the permissions cache, after that the permissions were ok (as far as I can tell at the moment).

Might it have something to do with the upgrade process? I moved from 1.2.? to 1.4 to 1.4.2. During those upgrades I never refreshed any type of cache.
Make sure your server has the proper permissions to /cache/
(2008-10-15, 03:38 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure your server has the proper permissions to inc/cache/
It is set to 755. I can't find in the wiki what inc/cache should be? Could it be that when I uploaded the new files during the update process some CHMOD settings were overwritten because new folders were uploaded and overwrote the old ones?
All folders that need CHMODing need to be set to 777.
But in the Wiki it says that the required files to CHMOD 777 are:

REQUIRED
inc/config.php
inc/settings.php
uploads/
uploads/avatars/

OPTIONAL
inc/languages/english/
admin/backups/
cache/

nothing about the inc/cache folder...

And to make it extra confusing, in the Install documentation inside the MyBB 1.4.2 package it says:

CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).

./inc/settings.php
./uploads
./uploads/avatars
./cache
./cache/themes
Anyone can tell what to do with the conflicting information I posted above? Is there another source that I've missed which explains the difference or the "real" settings that have to be used?
Basically files should be 666 and folders should be 777. You can also set ./inc/config.php to 755 after installation for added security, or so I read.
Sorry meant to say /cache/ folder not inc/cache/
Pages: 1 2