MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I'm confused about file permissions at a new install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, All---

I'm reinstalling the MyBB 1.4 for the fourth time and still confused about which files are to have permissions changed for the install process. I have two different sets of directions giving me different permissions for different files. One set of directions comes with the .zip download.

Can anyone tell me which to use, or better yet, tell me which files to CHMOD and with what permissions?

The reason I am reinstalling is that the my last configuration of MyBB 1.4 continually asked for my username and password when I was in AdminCP and moving from page to page, and then it was not allowing me to save my changes.

Thanks in advance.Smile
The reason you kept getting logged out was because your cookie settings were wrong, you didn't need to reinstall, just correct them, would have been a 2 minute job.

./inc/config.php to 666
./inc/settings.php to 666
./uploads/ to 777
./uploads/avatars/ to 777
./cache/ to 777
./cache/themes to 777

This is clearly stated in the installation process. You can also do...

./inc/languages/choose language/all files to 666
./inc/languages/choose language/admin/all files to 666
./admin/backups/ to 777

Post the URL of where your forums will be and I'll give you the correct cookie settings.
Hi, Matt!

Thanks for the quck response re the files to have permissions changed.

I will have to complete the install process now that I have the correct permissions, but the URL for my forum is http://www.projectplant.org/forums/index.php.

I'll try to successfully install and then I may need to send you a private message (?), or should I just reply back that the forum is installed?

Weedwacker

(2008-10-14, 01:31 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]The reason you kept getting logged out was because your cookie settings were wrong, you didn't need to reinstall, just correct them, would have been a 2 minute job.

./inc/config.php to 666
./uploads/ to 777
./cache/ to 777
./cache/themes to 777

./admin/backups/ to 777

Post the URL of where your forums will be and I'll give you the correct cookie settings.
Well, looks like you got it installed ok Big Grin Glad I could help.
OK, Matt:

I'm installed and things seem to be working correctly. And, so far, I haven't had the problem with continually having to enter my username and password everytime I change pages or save in AdminCP.

I rechecked the install Wiki for permission settings and they are somewhat different than yours. I think yours are more correct, or perhaps it was easier to follow your directions.Smile

Again, my URL for my forum is: http://www.projectplant.org/forums/index.php

Weedwacker

(2008-10-14, 03:16 PM)weedwacker Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, Matt!

Thanks for the quck response re the files to have permissions changed.

I will have to complete the install process now that I have the correct permissions, but the URL for my forum is http://www.projectplant.org/forums/index.php.

I'll try to successfully install and then I may need to send you a private message (?), or should I just reply back that the forum is installed?

Weedwacker

(2008-10-14, 01:31 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]The reason you kept getting logged out was because your cookie settings were wrong, you didn't need to reinstall, just correct them, would have been a 2 minute job.

./inc/config.php to 666
./uploads/ to 777
./cache/ to 777
./cache/themes to 777

./admin/backups/ to 777