MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb Shutdown!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before I reply to this guys post and sound like an idiot. (if I was wrong); Is this true?

Coreye Wrote:Why not just use vBulletin? At one point MyBB was just a copycat and even stole code from the vBulletin source. Jelsoft had lawyers shut them down for a short period of time because of this.

For free, MyBB isn't bad software but neither is SMF. If you we're going to switch to another software and take the time to do a forum migration correctly, I would just go with vBulletin.

I would prefer if staff reply to this.
Best Regards.
How could he prefer vBulletin over MyBB! I don't like vBulletin at all.
(2008-10-14, 09:08 PM)Dude106 Wrote: [ -> ]How could he prefer vBulletin over MyBB! I don't like vBulletin at all.

Well, the point of the thread isn't to argue whether one is good against the other, but merely to answer the shutdown question. Wink
Possibly someone else owned the mybb domain before hand and tried to release a dodgy forum software? Most likely a rumor made up by VB supporters though who are cut that they had to pay $180 for their software.
I've gotten the answer of what I won't disclose here unless MyBB decide too. The answer explains a lot of the past and present conclusions for MyBB. It also kind of explains why MyBB is under the GPL today. (IMO)
Best Regards.
Aww....
I remember hearing those rumers when I first discovered MyBB. I never really took them to serouis as well Chris worked on XMB so it's not like he didn't have the skilsl to make a forum.

Plus if the really wanted to copy vB there would be a lot more social features.

So true or not to me it doens't matter.
I Just wanted to find out to respond to the person accordingly. However, I've gotten the answer and that's all that was needed.
Best Regards.
Which was either yes or no.. Wink
(2008-10-14, 09:04 PM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]Before I reply to this guys post and sound like an idiot. (if I was wrong); Is this true?

Coreye Wrote:Why not just use vBulletin? At one point MyBB was just a copycat and even stole code from the vBulletin source. Jelsoft had lawyers shut them down for a short period of time because of this.

For free, MyBB isn't bad software but neither is SMF. If you we're going to switch to another software and take the time to do a forum migration correctly, I would just go with vBulletin.

I would prefer if staff reply to this.
Best Regards.

MyBB wasn't "shutdown" at any point.

Closing this for now as this thread instead going to lead anywhere good.