MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [B] Date format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
bug

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-34607.html
08-03-2008

date unreadable, is it from march or august?

related: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39154.html
You can change the date format in User CP --> Edit Options, so this is not a bug. It is a matter of personal preference. You've already posted a suggestion for additional formats to be added, so we will keep it at that.

Thanks.
(2008-10-16, 06:48 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]You can change the date format in User CP --> Edit Options, so this is not a bug. It is a matter of personal preference.

I didn't set it to be unreadable. If you say this bug is a feature and someone (Is it a bug/feature to hide the mover?) moved my report here - this is negative advertisement for the quality of this forum and the underlying software.

I would rephrase my initial statement: The default date format should be a better readable date format. The current default style that I got seems to be US centric. You can also mark the software and the forum as "primarily for US audience", then people don't waste their time with the misconception this is for international audience.

(2008-10-16, 06:48 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]You've already posted a suggestion for additional formats to be added, so we will keep it at that.

I doubt I did that.
(2008-10-19, 03:14 PM)Tobyas Wrote: [ -> ]I would rephrase my initial statement: The default date format should be a better readable date format. The current default style that I got seems to be US centric. You can also mark the software and the forum as "primarily for US audience", then people don't waste their time with the misconception this is for international audience.

Our staff members are from around the world. We have staff from Australia, Canada, Germany, Britain, US, and more.

You can change the date format, as Dennis said.
(2008-10-19, 03:40 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Our staff members are from around the world. We have staff from Australia, Canada, Germany, Britain, US, and more.
If you have staff from around the world - why do you force them to have US date format as default?

Your listing of countries contains 80% anglophone countries. I don't know how this correlates to your perceoption of "around the world". But maybe this is an indicator of US/anglo centric perception of the world.

(2008-10-19, 03:40 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]You can change the date format, as Dennis said.

I think repeating what Dennis said adds no value to the discussion of the bug.

If you are a developper as is marked in your profile, could you bring light why mybb forces upon its users as default an US date format? Why can't the default not be the more neutral ISO 8601 format?

Additionally, in written texts the date formats are not to be set by the reading user I guess? So if one user copy pastes dates from the interface into a discussion one could end up with dates false interpreted by readers that have other settings, right?
(2008-10-20, 02:25 PM)Tobyas Wrote: [ -> ]If you are a developer as is marked in your profile, could you bring light why mybb forces upon its users as default an US date format? Why can't the default not be the more neutral ISO 8601 format?

Additionally, in written texts the date formats are not to be set by the reading user I guess? So if one user copy pastes dates from the interface into a discussion one could end up with dates false interpreted by readers that have other settings, right?

My understanding is that myBB is focused around America - as in their servers are held there etc... so logically their software will follow American defaults.

It's common sense really with dates. For example, 10-20-2008... there is no 20th month, so it has to be American - it's quite simple to figure it out. The world's developed that way, and as Dennis says, you can change the date settings in your UCP.
(2008-10-20, 02:25 PM)Tobyas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-19, 03:40 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Our staff members are from around the world. We have staff from Australia, Canada, Germany, Britain, US, and more.
If you have staff from around the world - why do you force them to have US date format as default?

We don't force them to have US dates and I'm sure many of them don't. You are more then welcome to change the date format in your User CP, but as long as you continue to refuse the facts and have nothing good to add to this thread, it can stay closed.