MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Inserting video? Can it be done?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, is there any way that I can have it so my members can upload video they have on the hd to the posts? I cannot figure out how this can work. I fiddled in the admin panel adding file types allowed but it's not quite working. The admin panel for allowing attachments seems pretty straightforward.

This is the constant error I get when trying to get this to work on my test board:
Quote:Error Attaching File
The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.

I want to allow .mpeg and .wmv files to be uploaded as attachments. I want them to show inside the posts and not as downloadable attachments. Does the software not allow for this?

I can't even get them to upload at all as downloadable attachments right now. I don't want to zip them up and have them as things to 'take' I want them to be seen inside posts somehow.
I think you have to add that type to attachments in the AdminCP.
Yes, I mentioned that I have been doing that in my post.
Quote:I fiddled in the admin panel adding file types allowed but it's not quite working. The admin panel for allowing attachments seems pretty straightforward.

It's just not working. I couldn't get it to work in the old version either.

I can make it work with a zip file but that's just a pain in the butt.
I can put photobucket links in there but that's just as much a pain.
I want it so direct uploads can happen and the member does not have to go to Pluto and back to view it.
OMG I AM A MORON! I got it to work!

Feel free to lock or ditch this topic. I have like ten billion windows open and I was adding the file types to the right admin panel but checking in the wrong forum!

multitasking is making me stooooopid. :s
Hope you don't mind me bumping this up. I didn't want to start a whole new topic on the same issue.

You know I am still having issues uploading video files I've added into the admin panel > attachments area.

I can't figure out if it's my stupid computer or the software. I AM able to upload anythign .avi but all other media types I put in and set according to the instructions will not work.

The worst thing is the software does not give you an error if it's not a supported file type only if the file is too big.

I've tried from other pc's and I get the same issue on some videos to upload.

I followed the instructions in the admin panel and hunted down the mime types according to the link to the webmaster toolkit list for them.

The only file types they don't have on that list is the windows types that play in the stuipd windows media player with one exception - wmf.

I set the parameters very high, dropped them, and other things and I'm at a loss as to why only avi will upload. Am I missing something obvious (I'm starting to feel I'm becoming famous for that crime!!) or is there truly a flaw?

Or am I just an idiot? Confused
My opinion would be it's not myBB's issue, as it's just software that does as it's told.

My guess is that your server might not be able to upload that filetype. It's common, especially amoung shared/free hosting, that they block them so that they can't be streamed. AVIs are a less common filetype than say, mpeg or wmf.

I'd first check with your host to make sure these files can be uploaded,
I am able to upload anything I want via FTP into a folder onto my server. Is this the same thing as you describe? (just trying to sort out as much as possible before I call them)

Also, when I build an html page and tell it to insert video files of one sort or another, it will upload them to the page correctly. Is this different than uploading to a topic on mybb? I also use the program NetObjects Fusion to build my websites. It's a wysiwyg type program. Does this make a difference?

One more:

I am using other software that has any kind of media file uploads through the reply box buttons and I have no problem BUT.... I need to have my media file type installed and hosted somewhere so it 'embeds' into the post. I CAN use the browse and attach button and it will upload same media to the post but the results are like using mybb... it will make you click it and it opens "someplace else" to view. Is this the same thing?

I need to know as much as possible before calling my hosting company so I dont' go nuts repeating myself to them to get my point across.
The difference between making a webpage and making an attachment is quite a clear one - an attachment will open up elsewhere in a browser whereas, as you say, a webpage will embed it into a post.

FTP will allow practically any filetype to be transferred, however PHP might be configured to disallow the uploading of movie files - not too sure whether this is highlighted in PHP INFO or not though.

Back to the embedding, you can get video to be embedded into a post although I'm not sure whether you want to host it yourself - you can do this by creating custom MyCode.

The only other things I can think of at the moment is PHP's memory size - what size files are you trying to upload?
If you think you're going to play videos inline from mybb you are mistaken. You will need to modify the attachment output to use embed tags for the video. Otherwise to mybb it's just files. The attachments for images are altered so they can be displayed inline. Maybe one day I will make this plugin if no one hasn't done it yet. Shouldn't be too hard to hook into the right places and have the video display in post.

Here are like examples of what code would be required to play video:

http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/
Gotcha.... Just needed to cover all the possiblilties. I figured you'd say as much and glad to have that reassured.

I got a feeling it might be the php's memory size then. That is something I don't quite understand. Confused Here is the text that is on the file addition page:

Quote:Please ensure the maximum file size is below the smallest of the following PHP limits:
Upload Max File Size: 2M
Max Post Size: 8M

under it is a box for some numbers so I put 9999 in there.

The files I'm trying to upload are anywhere from 1 MB to the biggest that I tried was around 6 MB.
(2008-10-25, 07:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]If you think you're going to play videos inline from mybb you are mistaken. You will need to modify the attachment output to use embed tags for the video. Otherwise to mybb it's just files. The attachments for images are altered so they can be displayed inline. Maybe one day I will make this plugin if no one hasn't done it yet. Shouldn't be too hard to hook into the right places and have the video display in post.

Here are like examples of what code would be required to play video:

http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/

Although I'd like to, no I am not. I can't even get them to simply upload as an attachment is my complaint.
Make the plugin! It would be so much easier for many. I know there would be members who would love this as they have a hard enough time simply posting and trying to get images uploaded.

I figured the embed or inline attachment of video won't work even if I allowed it because I have all my uploaded images set to be clickable thumbs from the control settings. I thought that would quash any video uploads.

I still have that test forum if you want to go look. You're still admin.
Check a phpinfo page to see what the hard limit is for max file size upload. Most hosts have it set for 2mb so not matter what size you make it yourself you can't surpass that.
Pages: 1 2