MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Meta tags.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I ask this because I use the Portal as the index page.
But I want my forums portal (now the site index page) to have meta tags.
I know I could edit this via the template system, but why not have a place for it in the ACP?
I thought meta tags were pretty useless these days...
I really see no reason why any novice user would be interested in meta tags - having a setting in the AdminCP just clogs things up. If you know what meta tags are, chances are you know HTML. (and if you don't, you should)

That's my view on it.
(2008-10-19, 03:06 AM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]I know I could edit this via the template system, but why not have a place for it in the ACP?

Because you could edit this via the template system? :p
(2008-10-19, 04:23 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-19, 03:06 AM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]I know I could edit this via the template system, but why not have a place for it in the ACP?

Because you could edit this via the template system? :p

And lo and behold, the templates editor is in the ACP!

Big Grin
Quote:I thought meta tags were pretty useless these days...

Google and other search engines still use meta tags.

Want proof? Search for "hack forums" and check their description for my site. It's my meta description. If you don't have a description they just use text off the top of the page which isn't always relevent. Mybboard.net home page is same thing.

And btw...if you feel they are worthless why do you have them on endless paradigm?

hehe...

As an example of a forum without description meta...
http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net
Google gives it this description instead.

Quote:Forum, Threads, Posts, Last Post. Forum Contains New Posts, News. This is where news will be posted regarding the Yugioh Card Maker, the forum, etc. ...

Would you click that link from a search result?
(2008-10-23, 07:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Google and other search engines still use meta tags.

Want proof? Search for "hack forums" and check their description for my site. It's my meta description. If you don't have a description they just use text off the top of the page which isn't always relevent. Mybboard.net home page is same thing.
I said they were "pretty useless" not "completely useless".
If you feel that they are extremely valuable, then feel free to use them - I'm not going to dispute that.

(2008-10-23, 07:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And btw...if you feel they are worthless why do you have them on endless paradigm?

hehe...
Because they are pretty useless. Not to mention that this is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

(2008-10-23, 07:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]As an example of a forum without description meta...
http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net
Google gives it this description instead.

Quote:Forum, Threads, Posts, Last Post. Forum Contains New Posts, News. This is where news will be posted regarding the Yugioh Card Maker, the forum, etc. ...

Would you click that link from a search result?
I don't know about you, but I certainly never enter "http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net" into Google. I generally enter keywords I want to search, and from my experience, Google has the intelligence to be able to highlight the relevant keywords, rather than the text you put in above.
I don't believe them extremely valuable.

When I search Google I would use keywords like "yugioh cardmaker". I don't always click the top link especially if someone catches my eye in top 5 with a good description. That description can come from a well worded meta tag.

Quote:I really see no reason why any novice user would be interested in meta tags

You clearly make the statement you view someone using meta tags as a novice. That's why I wanted to point out your own usage. I would rather say meta tags are basic and while not required wouldn't hurt to add them. You say they "clog things up" but you have some yourself.
(2008-10-29, 01:37 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]When I search Google I would use keywords like "yugioh cardmaker". I don't always click the top link especially if someone catches my eye in top 5 with a good description. That description can come from a well worded meta tag.
And when I do indeed search for "yugioh cardmaker", I get quite a nice description. Obviously you don't need meta tags to have a nice description on Google. Google is clever enough to know that most people can easily spam meta tags with junk if they wanted to, and thus, look at page content for descriptions.

(2008-10-29, 01:37 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I really see no reason why any novice user would be interested in meta tags

You clearly make the statement you view someone using meta tags as a novice.
Actually, you misunderstand me there.
I said that novices would not be interested in meta tags, NOT that people who use meta tags are novices (how did you manage to come up with that? didn't read what I said properly?).

(2008-10-29, 01:37 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]That's why I wanted to point out your own usage. I would rather say meta tags are basic and while not required wouldn't hurt to add them. You say they "clog things up" but you have some yourself.
I would like to point out that my own usage has absolutely no relevance to the topic at hand.
But to answer what you've said, yes, I could explain to you why I've decided to place meta tags on my website, however I'd probably have to explain numerous concepts to you which would just get off-topic and, quite frankly, I can't be stuffed.