MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Javascript Prompt alternative
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello
MSIE 7+ reacts stupid to the javascript prompts in the editor (img,url), popping up a security warning etc...

wouldn't it be nice to have a proper alternative prompt command built in mybb?
i thought of something like this CLICK
Or as the link says you can enable it in your IE7 browser. Its not our fault windows is now paranoid with security yet a lot the things don't make it more secure just more annoying for the everyday user.
ahm, it was not meant as a bug report ^^

it's just an idea to get rid of MSIE7's nasty security popup, which is annoying + ugly (always opening at the left top corner etc...)..

coding an alternative prompt function (like the one in my link above) could be nice.. you'll find lots of examples when googling for "javascript alternative prompt" or "javascript prompt replacement"...
IE7 removed prompt()? I, for one, can't think of how it's a security problem...

But anyway, that's beside the point...
Yeh, I'm not sure how prompt() was a security problem.

But anyway, I think this could be something looked at for 1.6, if this functionality, it is indeed being hindered by IE7
Is that just the stupidity of IE? Smile Do we even need to bend over backwards just because software is stupid?
yes, you do. at least if this stupid piece of software has some XX% browser market coverage -.-
Darn the hundreds of people who develop this XX% browser market coverage software really kills the brains of about a million other people who have to make things work with it.
(2008-10-23, 06:49 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Darn the hundreds of people who develop this XX% browser market coverage software really kills the brains of about a million other people who have to make things work with it.

Well tbf if you look at the browser statistics for IE7 it has about 26 %. That is alot of people. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

And yea IE 7 is stupid. Why even make a browser this bad.

Anyways I think prompt isn't that pretty anyways and should be made alternatives for. And the coding isn't that hard even.
BTW, from what I've found:
Quote:Generic Spoofing Risk Reduction in Internet Explorer 7--The window.prompt script method is blocked and the gold Information bar is displayed by default in Internet Zone for Internet Explorer 7. The helps prevent websites from spoofing things such as the logon screens of other websites. This is a new security enhancement for Internet Explorer 7.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

Basically, users should be able to enable it anyway.

Quote:The default behavior can be changed in Tools > Internet Options > security > enable 'allow websites to prompt for information using scripted windows'.
http://www.webmasterworld.com/javascript/3133115.htm

But yeah, might think of an alternative, though I don't think the priority is terribly high.