MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin folder renaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Great job btw. I need to ask you how to rename the admin folder

after renaming i edit the config.php in /inc but seems that it doesnt work. I click the url its just blank. Can you please advice?

What other ways can I enhance the security? Step by step pointers would be good

Thanks a whole lot!
I'll tell you what I do! when ever I need to make a change in a config or admin I would name the folder back to admin then after I am done I would name it back to what ever I had it on.
NightLinks Wrote:I'll tell you what I do! when ever I need to make a change in a config or admin I would name the folder back to admin then after I am done I would name it back to what ever I had it on.

Thats one way I thought about also but the thing I am afraid is, what happens if I can administer my server on that particular day when I need to (Incase I am away from office or on vacation)? Cause I switched off vnc, telnet, ssh protocols to my server for security purposes. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the input!
Its a semi-bug with the templates. To fix youself, on your forum, rename ./admin/ to whatever you want, edit config.php, and then go to Admin CP > Templates > Modify/Delete > *template set expand* > header_welcomeblock_member_admin and change /admin/ to /foldername/ (change it to what is set in config.php).

I will commit a change to svn now that will make it use config.php instead of needing to edit it.

Other means of protection. Use htaccess and change the admin folder name to something really complex (eg: f4i3r9d8h). That should stop all attacks.
k776 Wrote:Its a semi-bug with the templates. To fix youself, on your forum, rename ./admin/ to whatever you want, edit config.php, and then go to Admin CP > Templates > Modify/Delete > *template set expand* > header_welcomeblock_member_admin and change /admin/ to /foldername/ (change it to what is set in config.php).

I will commit a change to svn now that will make it use config.php instead of needing to edit it.

Other means of protection. Use htaccess and change the admin folder name to something really complex (eg: f4i3r9d8h). That should stop all attacks.

Hi k776 thanks for the input. I actually tried out and applied to my default template. I renamed the folder but it still didnt work. Yes it did redirect to the URL but nothing appears. Just a blank page. I wonder why. Could you help?
I did the above and it worked for me. Make sure you change the template before renaming the admin folder and uploading the new config. That's all I can think of.
just in case anyone is in the same situation as me and is coming from upgrades of older versions.....the config.php doesn't necessarily have a line for the admin-folder....the line that you have to enter here is mentioned in one of the other threads here...I'll try to find it later...

cheers,
Kimmo
Don't forget to change the member_profile_adminoptions