MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Patching license?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a clarification on this. If we've been patching our forums since the first release of the 1.4 series, without a complete upgrade, what would the software be licensed under? The old, or the GPL?
Best Regards.
I think it would be the old license.
After all, you've only patched it, and MyBB went GPL when 1.4.2 came out. All older versions are under the EULA license in that case. Toungue
Obviously, we're not cruel people trying to exploit every little legal loophole, so you shouldn't really need to worry about if it's the old EULA or the GPL.
(2008-10-20, 05:40 AM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking for a clarification on this. If we've been patching our forums since the first release of the 1.4 series, without a complete upgrade, what would the software be licensed under? The old, or the GPL?
Best Regards.

Under the old license.
Realistically you should be able to upload ALL 1.4.3 files and overwrite existing files except settings and config. That should place you under the GPL license as the database I don't believe is actually covered. Hopefully Chris won't disagree with me.
I was just wondering about this if I sell one of my MyBB forums. I need to tell the buyer what license it's under so he doesn't get confused by what it's currently under.
Thanks for the answer,
Best Regards.
The best solution would just to be upgrade the forums completely so it's under the new license AND it has all of the bug fixes from 1.4.2.