MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hey I'm new to MyBB, and I've got questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, so basically, I've been viewing forums powered by MyBB, and I personally love them. At the moment I'm a user of SMF, but from what I've seen, MyBB forums look a lot much better and cleaner. MyBB forums look VERY similar to vBulletin, and so I'm trying to make a forum that is very vBulletin-like. From what I've seen, I think MyBB's forums are the most similar to vBulletin because it has the horizontal postbit layout. SMF, phpbb3, and other forums I've tried somehow do not support the horizontal postbit layout.

I've never used MyBB before, so yeah.

Here are my questions:

1) Does MyBB have an automatic mod/theme installer? Or do you have to do them manually?

2) My current forum is powered by SMF. How would I go about converting it to MyBB?

3) What version of MyBB should I use?

4) I love the horizontal postbit layout. Does the horizontal postbit layout come installed by default when you startup a MyBB forum?

5) Is there a mod where you can display more than one custom rank?

5)
1. You upload the files in FTP and then activate plugins and upload a .xml file, both in the ACP.

2. http://www.mybboard.net/downloads/merge-system

3. 1.4.2
(2008-10-20, 05:18 PM)Fratal Wrote: [ -> ]4) I love the horizontal postbit layout. Does the horizontal postbit layout come installed by default when you startup a MyBB forum?

Users can choose between either the horizontal or vertical postbit from their UserCP. (Personally I prefer the older legacy postbit with the info on the left as it doesn't break up the conversation.)
5. What do you mean by custom ranks??
Custom Ranks would be the ability to change the current stars (which you can do) and at the same time display other ranks as well (stacked or unstacked). [It's a vBulletin built-in thing and it probably is for MyBB too, but I never looked for it.]
Yes, that's what I mean by custom ranks. For example, if you are both a moderator AND a donator, then you would be able to have a moderator rank AND a donator rank.
There isn't a way to do this by default, however I believe CraKteR created a plugin named something like "Additional Group Images", but I am not sure if he ever updated it for MyBB 1.4.
I am really glad you like mybb but I will say that you should like mybb for what it is not how similar you feel it is to VB. It has no code from VB and is it's own forum software developed by very hard working dedicated individuals. They should be recognized as innovators in the open source forum space not labelled great copiers of VB.

I have to assume you were attracted to Mybb as you say because of it's clean look and great interface. Well if that's true please don't mimic VB in your layout.

Now to your Q's.

1) Yes
2) Convert system (merge) is on the downloads page. Still in beta but works well.
3) Use latest version. 1.4.2 You can obtain from the downloads link in header.
4) Horizontal is default and vertical (called classic by mybb) is selectable by users in their control panel. Some give instructions to hard code which one they want but there shouldn't be any harm offering both options as mybb intended.
5) Yes...it's around here somewhere.