MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass delete calendar spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well before I found out that permissions needed to be manually set individually for the calendar, some spammer or bot I am guessing created a whole bunch of events titled:

"HAIL XENU"

With the following content:

"arg captain! enemy ships in the horizon! arg! fire thee cannons! arg! bring me thee scope arg! get me my booty! arg!"

A link to the random bogus events:

Link

They/it spammed the heck out of my calendar between the end of January and March. It wasn't until recently I found this when I was indexing my website for a sitemap and found a link to these bogus events.

Apparently it's not hacker handy work, and just the work of some random spammer/bot, ever since I set the permissions only for administrators to add events and disallow guests from adding events this has not occurred again. What is weird is the events don't appear to be advertising anything as there is no link, unless the calendar feature doesn't parse links.

Anyways I am wondering if there is a way to easily mass delete these random bogus events instead of deleting them individually?

Needing to delete them individually is quite time consuming since there is several of these events and I don't feel like sitting here and deleting them one by one.

Thank You.
Your main calender looks empty. Do you have anything important you want to save?
If, "NO" then I would drop the calender table in the data base are replace it with a fresh (empty) one.

To get the 'new' code you could use a clean test copy of MyBB and export only the calender table.
Then import that same sql into your forum db.

Good luck with the clean-up.
Why not just not allow guests to post calendar events??
(2008-10-21, 09:18 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just not allow guests to post calendar events??

Because I'll end up with the problem described in my first post, mass calender spam.

Only administrators or other staff should have permissions to add or delete events anyways since the calendar event feature doesn't really serve a purpose to normal members or guests other than to inform them of upcoming events.

Anyways I fixed this easily by going into my mybb_events table in PHPMyAdmin and deleting all of the bogus events, took me less than five minutes.
Is that not exactly what I said?? NOT allow guests to post events??
(2008-10-21, 05:29 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Is that not exactly what I said?? NOT allow guests to post events??

Err, sorry I read your post wrong, I didn't see the second "not" at first so I read it as "Why not allow guests to post calendar events".Confused

Anyways as mentioned I've already set the proper permissions after I found out the calendar permissions needed to be set properly.

Now administrators only have the ability to add events.

I apologize for the slight misunderstanding for misinterpreting your post.
No problem, I could have worded it a bit better.

Glad it's sorted.