MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fresh Installation ... missing files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, this is the first site I've needed a forum for and after reading up decided that MyBB is the best script :-)

I have bought my hosting and set up the nameservers etc ... so far so good.

Twice I have uploaded the files to my /forum directory and both times the same files haven't copied across.

The /uploads folder copies across but the index.html and the avatars folder and the index.html indide that don't copy to the server for some reason.

I tried making the folders manually in File Manager of my control panel, but when going through the /install process it says the cach isn't writabe (even though it is showing as 666 in File Manager) and the next 2 or 3 also the same problem.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

I know another guy with the same hosting comany and deal who has successfully installed MyBB (total coincidence). I used CuteFTP the first time on a different PC then CoreFTP on this laptop the second time; each time I downloaded the MyBB zipped file afresh, so it shouldn't be a corrupted file.

Thanks in advance,

frustrated zodiac :-)
The directories need to be 777
(2008-10-23, 10:51 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]The directories need to be 777

Thanks Ryan. Any idea why some files don't upload? Huh
The host. I had this problem once on a free host, not good.
(2008-10-24, 09:04 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]The host. I had this problem once on a free host, not good.

It's nto a free host ... cheap yes but not free.

I found it weird that most of the files copied across but not all. I asked a website building mate and he said get SSH access and I can upload the zip to the server and unxip it on there and therefore the files should all come out (not a technical expression but it's late ... zzzzzz) properly.

The host told me I have to fax off a form because of security issues, I only want access to my account not all his customers!!! Oh dear, a week on and I still don't have my forum. The sily thing is there is phpBB in the control panel, but I don't want to use that as I have read that's it's insecure as f**k and people have had their whole sites hijacked through their installation of phpBB so thanks but no thanks. It's getting me down the time it is taking to get myBB set up (ie stil not done yet) though Sad
Yeah, having SSH is a little unsafe for the hosts as people can do some bad things. That's the reason that they ask you to fax them some identification things or the likes.
File transfers over FTP sometimes fail and the files do not make it for whatever reason. Just upload all the files again to be sure maybe. Smile

SSH will fix that. Smile
(2008-10-25, 11:54 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, having SSH is a little unsafe for the hosts as people can do some bad things. That's the reason that they ask you to fax them some identification things or the likes.
File transfers over FTP sometimes fail and the files do not make it for whatever reason. Just upload all the files again to be sure maybe. Smile

SSH will fix that. Smile

I have deleted the entire folder and re-uploaded a fresh unziped MyBB on a different PC at a different location and the same files didn't upload ... very strange! I'll have to get SSH and unzip it on the server.

Thanks for the replis :-)