MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: double post check
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey,is that possible that mybb having double check when creating new thread?
it works like this,whenever new double thread submited it will be warned that topic being created is similar to "xxxx"thread.

anyone?Huh
No but I wish there was. If it was used here it would stop people here asking the same questions 10 times a day. I think the closest thing there is now is the Similar Threads table at the bottom of a thread, but that only shows after a thread has been posted.
MyBB will detect if the message is exactly the same, submitted in the last few minutes (to prevent accidental double posting by pressing the submit button twice).
I think what they mean is to show if a thread you try to post is similar to an existing one by someone else, for example, loads of people here ask why they get logged out of their ACP, so it could say something about there already being threads about it.

And if that isn't what they meant, it's what I meant Toungue
Computers are good at exact matching, but it is currently not easy for computers to recognize "meanings" of words.

For example, say these were all thread titles of the problem "User cannot stay logged into the Admin CP for more than 1 page".

"I have a login problem" (generic, does the computer know the user means the Admin CP?)
"Cannot log in to the Admin CP" (log in is 2 words here...)
"Admin CP mail logging issue" (logging could be mixed up with login?)
"Cannot enter forum" (does the computer know the user means the Admin CP? and that enter == login?)
"why I no go to admin CP??" (no mention of login)
"authentication fails at the management section" (completely differerent wording)
To do this would seriously not be effective. How would you detect the existence of a similar post?

Quote:whenever new double thread submited it will be warned that topic being created is similar to "xxxx"thread.

And then what? You would want the member to not post what they just wrote? You will lose a lot of content this way and discourage posting imho. You basically want a message that says...

Hey..you are about to make a post that MIGHT be like another post so just delete what you wrote and go look at this thread

Of course then user goes to check that thread and it's not helpful at all...meanwhile they have closed the post they were making and have to start all over. Being frustrated they just leave.

When you think of features consider implemention and it's effect on the forum. imho anything discouraging your members from making legitimate posts will be detrimental. I plan on creating a plugin to warn members of necroposting but even that imho is a bit iffy to implement.
Hmm, I consider myself outdone.

The Similar Threads table seems quite accurate though. Why not have an adaptation of that put above the post they were going to create, but keep their post incase they decide to post it anyway??
Oh it's not that it can't be done Matt. The question is why would you want to.

The only thing I would want is something that detects a cross post. Sometimes spammers will take the exact same post and copy it over and over into your forums. To do a check for that would be nice.
(2008-10-23, 06:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]To do this would seriously not be effective. How would you detect the existence of a similar post?

Quote:whenever new double thread submited it will be warned that topic being created is similar to "xxxx"thread.

And then what? You would want the member to not post what they just wrote? You will lose a lot of content this way and discourage posting imho. You basically want a message that says...

Hey..you are about to make a post that MIGHT be like another post so just delete what you wrote and go look at this thread

Of course then user goes to check that thread and it's not helpful at all...meanwhile they have closed the post they were making and have to start all over. Being frustrated they just leave.

When you think of features consider implemention and it's effect on the forum. imho anything discouraging your members from making legitimate posts will be detrimental. I plan on creating a plugin to warn members of necroposting but even that imho is a bit iffy to implement.

no..no..you are out of my topic.i don't want to restrict/forbid my member from threading new topic.it just like a warn system.when you are making new thread and there are/is similar one, then you will be warned that the existing thread is already made and suggested you to reply on that thread than making new double thread.maybe improved with ajax or something that loads automatically the warning before they click Submit.

here i quote the screenshot from another Bboard
[Image: prime_subject_check-1.png]
Oh I know what you mean. I just think it's a bad idea and I don't recommend it.
Pages: 1 2