MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why GIF instead of PNG?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I notice that MyBB uses FamFamFam's Silk icon set for MyBB. Why are they using Gif -- which leaves white jagged outlines -- instead of PNG, which leaves no outlines at all?
I think it's something to do with IE6 not properly handling transparency with PNGs - I could be wrong though. Smile
(2008-10-25, 03:31 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's something to do with IE6 not properly handling transparency with PNGs - I could be wrong though. Smile

why does IE wreck everything cool about the internet
(2008-10-25, 03:34 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-25, 03:31 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's something to do with IE6 not properly handling transparency with PNGs - I could be wrong though. Smile

why does IE wreck everything cool about the internet

Now that should be made "The 8th Wonder of the World"
I agree...I prefer the PNG's but understand the choice of using gif's to appease the few that are idiotically using IE6.

At my sites I have about 30% of the visitors under IE and then about 30% of those are on IE6 or less. So out of every 1000 visitors it's maybe 100 that are still on IE6.
Well for the current default theme, using PNG doesn't have much difference compared to GIF. And I believe GIF is smaller. Of course using the GDK you can export your own theme images into PNG if you prefer.
(2008-10-25, 07:00 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Well for the current default theme, using PNG doesn't have much difference compared to GIF. And I believe GIF is smaller. Of course using the GDK you can export your own theme images into PNG if you prefer.

Actually PNG's, done right, are usually smaller then gifs and jpegs

But why isn't MyBB using a javascript like http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pnghowto.htm or any other out there to get around this ie problem?
(2008-10-25, 11:07 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]

But why isn't MyBB using a javascript like http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pnghowto.htm or any other out there to get around this ie problem?

PNGs are a better format. Not yet a standard. Not sure if having the PNG workaround built in is needed. Anyone can add it themselves though.
(2008-10-25, 11:07 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]

I've used those Javascripts before - they generally are problematic in my experience (incorrectly scale images, mess up the colours, or don't properly render transparency)... >_>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8