MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HTML welcome page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ive asked around and still don't know how to do this. I'm trying to have a image with a link under it saying "Click here to enter". I want this to show up when someone types in the forum address. So how do I go about to add this?
Oh crap I just got exactly what you meant Toungue God I'm an idiot.

I think if you move your forums to /forums/ and then add a page at the root which has the image and link, that'll be the easiest way.

Like this forum.
Yup. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Wink
It's basic web design...

Make sure your forum is installed at /forum/ (or a directory you want) and create an index.html (or index.php) with a link or image to your forum in your main directory (www or public_html typically).
(2008-10-26, 09:44 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Oh crap I just got exactly what you meant Toungue God I'm an idiot.

I think if you move your forums to /forums/ and then add a page at the root which has the image and link, that'll be the easiest way.

Like this forum.

Actually, don't move the forum Toungue Just create a new page called welcome.html or something, make your normal URL redirect to that, put the HTML you want on that page, and then when they visit the usual URL, they'll get the new page, click the image, and go to the forum as usual.
Yeah Google will love that... Arrive -> Redirect -> Arrive -> Redirect -> Information.

That's jumping through a lot of hoops for ol' Googlebot, just to get to this guy's forum. The best structure is of course very similar to what myBB has here, where each section is seperated into different subdomains or directories.

This makes it much easier for both computers and humans to process information Smile
Moving the forum to /forums would be the best option. If you're against that you could add this to your .httacess

DirectoryIndex welcome.html index.php
Well it's still not that great of an idea as it's not too user-friendly. They won't want to constantly click on a link/picture to enter the site.
I started using the splash screen as a place holder for when we add some actual content to the site. That way we wouldn't have to worry about moving the forum to /forums later on. 5 years later.. We still use the splash screen and have no actual content on the site. Smile
(2008-10-26, 10:36 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah Google will love that... Arrive -> Redirect -> Arrive -> Redirect -> Information.

That's jumping through a lot of hoops for ol' Googlebot, just to get to this guy's forum. The best structure is of course very similar to what myBB has here, where each section is seperated into different subdomains or directories.

This makes it much easier for both computers and humans to process information Smile

True, true... guess it is moving the forum then.
Pages: 1 2