MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which files should I download to backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
I am running a MyBB forum. Can anyone tell me which files should I download regularly to make bakup of my forum.
(2008-10-28, 12:16 PM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
I am running a MyBB forum. Can anyone tell me which files should I download regularly to make bakup of my forum.

You should only really need to create a backup of your files everytime you upgrade MyBB, unless of course you make edits to them. You do need to backup your database often though.

A database backup depends on how busy your board is. Normally, one every other day would be ideal for an "active" board - but for the over-cautious once a day is normally best.

I have a system that creates a backup every day, and keeps them for 7 days. I have a second system that creates a backup every 2 weeks as a "just in case".
you should make a copy of the files now and then yes you only need to then make a norther file back up every time you add a new mod eg if the mod is working on your site then you just copy the same files in to you back up copy on your computer or where ever else it maybe

as for databases back ups go you should do them every few days. i also ways keep a least 3 to full back on.

so make a database back up every few days and only a file one before you are going to change files on the server.
Whether new posts are stored in file system or in database?
The only stuff saved in any files is database information and settings. Users, forums, posts, all that, are in the database. That's what it's for.
But it will cause a massive increase in database size. Can any one tell me what will be the expected size of database of a forum having 10,000 members and 500,000 posts?
Why will it cause an increase in database size?? -.^
(2008-10-29, 09:43 AM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]Can any one tell me what will be the expected size of database of a forum having 10,000 members and 500,000 posts?

A trillion, zillion bytes... Rolleyes

No-one can really estimate, as it depends on how long those posts are, the content of them etc. etc.

We can argue on whether a file system is better than a database for storing information but at the end of the day, mySQL wins. Your database can go as big as it can go and no-one can really control that.

Backing up your database won't increase your database size, however. Toungue
My host is offering 320GB web space but database size of only 70MB. Is this suitable for a large forum with above features.
(2008-10-29, 11:45 AM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]My host is offering 320GB web space but database size of only 70MB. Is this suitable for a large forum with above features.

If not, just move hosts - it's quite simple to move databases if you come close to your database limit.

Of course, you can reduce the amount of space it takes up by pruning old topics and posts.
Pages: 1 2