MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Modification Cleanup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No offense but the modification area is a complete and utter mess! Firstly, there are not seperate areas for lets say, 1.2 and 1.4. A LOT of mods don't really specify so there's a good chance that if you are new to mybb, if you try an old mod, the consequences could be devastating. Next, GOD this bugs me!!! There is a forum called Releases & Release Support and the mods allow any and every topic for support, but the mod authors will never see them because support belongs in the topic they created for the release. Those of us looking for a mod have to dive through hundreds of off-topic support requests to find the actual mod. I for one will volunteer a bit of time if you need me but not nearly as much as you need to fix this. Am I the only one looking through the mods section and can't find anything that feels this way?
Firstly, all the modifications/plugins are not all in the one place. If you're looking at a plugin for an older version (than 1.4.x) then it will say at the top left of the side panel that it is in the Archive.
For example: http://mods.mybboard.net/archive/view/ap...ols-plugin
Archive \ MyBB 1.2.x \ Forum Display (in the top left corner of the side panel)

When you're looking at a plugin made for the current version (1.4.x) it will not say Archive.

Secondly, we cannot stop people from making support threads for their issues. Most of the time they make it in the General Support forum and we move it to the Releases & Release Support forum - where it should be. They should be conducting searches before they make threads requesting support any way, and if they don't they are only disadvantaging themselves.
I think the idea was to split the Releases and Support forum up into their specific sections (ie Releases forum and Plugin Support forum). Personally, I like it that way, as it makes it easier to find the release thread of a particular plugin.
Personally I think releases should be all at MyBB Mods. Then maybe an auto-posting bot would create a support thread for each mod that is submitted to MyBB Mods.

* Dennis Tsang dreams on.
(2008-10-29, 08:03 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I think releases should be all at MyBB Mods. Then maybe an auto-posting bot would create a support thread for each mod that is submitted to MyBB Mods.
We could do that - move all the current threads in releases and release support to the closed forum, then each time a plugin/theme is approved we create a thread with the title of the plugin/theme.
There you go. That may not be the best solution to some but it is a solution. I just don't understand why let's say for example, Dennis has a thread for his addons and someone makes a new thread for support when he'd get more support posting in the thread Dennis created for his mods. Secondly, people mistake the topic title of the thread asking for support for the mod release (and yes this happens in search too because it names the mod) so for one mod that has lots of problems, it can be an endless cycle of frustration for the user. Okay now I haven't used IPB in years but look here at how simple something like this can be and how clean it can be. When you look there, you can easily find the mod you want and ask for support in the proper thread instead of just making your own mess wherever you see fit. Sorry if I come off rude or anything, I'm just frustrated is all.
Actually you can:

Admin cp --> edit Releases & Release Support (as it would appear in admin cp) --> permissions --> change to where only Mod Authors (new group btw) moderators and admins may START topics, problem solved.

(2008-10-29, 05:56 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]Secondly, we cannot stop people from making support threads for their issues.
(2008-11-18, 06:15 PM)scylla Wrote: [ -> ]Actually you can:

Admin cp --> edit Releases & Release Support (as it would appear in admin cp) --> permissions --> change to where only Mod Authors (new group btw) moderators and admins may START topics, problem solved.

Funny.