MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: After 1.4.3 upgrade - image attachment problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After upgrading to 1.4.3 I get some problems with attached images from posts.

Clicking on a thumbnail in Internet Explorer does not open the original image: instead, I get a new window and a dialog asking me to open or save the image.

In Mozilla Firefox there are no problems, the attached images are opened in a new window, as usual.

This problem is only using Internet explorer, after the 1.4.3 upgrade.

Can anybody help me? How can I fix this?
Don't you just click "open" and it opens?

I think you can set how to handle pictures in IE through the browser - whether to automatically open in browser, open with the default software or save the image to disk. As Firefox is opening it "right", then it's more then likely down to the browser itself...

Either way it could be a trade-off between secure attachments and attachment handling in IE.
No, it doesn't just open, it used to open before the upgrade, but after the upgrade I encounter this "open or save" dialogue. A lot of users from my forum flooded my inbox with reports regarding this problem, they are complaining that using Internet Explorer the image is not displayed, they have this dialogue instead. First, I checked using Firefox, and everything was ok, but after so many reports, I checked with Internet Explorer and I also get this dialogue.
It's because it's attached. If it's inserted into the post, it shows the image in a new window/tab.
Internet Explorer is a funny piece of software, and sometimes we can't force attachments to open everything in it's browser.

Hopefully a developer will see this and check things out, but personally, I don't it as a problem.

Ever since IE had an exploit with images, Microsoft have been very careful on how images have been handled. It's possible, to maintain security, that you might have to do it this way.

And what I meant by "open" - surely when this dialogue box shows, heaven forbid, you have to click the "open" button to view the image...
Click these and see the difference in how the open... on Chrome they both just show the image in a new tab, but just see how IE handles it...

[attachment=11525]
Matt, regarding images from your post: Firefox open both images in new tab. Internet explorer open only the inserted one in a new tab and prompts me to open or save if I click the attached image.

However, until this upgrade, in Internet explorer, both the inserted and attached images opened in new tabs, there was no prompt for "open or save".

This is a problem for all the attached images that was posted until now, those images can't be seen until you download them.

Is there any fix for this?
(2008-10-29, 09:27 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Internet Explorer is a funny piece of software, and sometimes we can't force attachments to open everything in it's browser.

Hopefully a developer will see this and check things out, but personally, I don't it as a problem.

Ever since IE had an exploit with images, Microsoft have been very careful on how images have been handled. It's possible, to maintain security, that you might have to do it this way.

And what I meant by "open" - surely when this dialogue box shows, heaven forbid, you have to click the "open" button to view the image...

It worked without problems until the upgrade, even in Internet explorer. I see it as a problem because hundreds of photos are attached to posts in my forum... downloading each and every one if you want to see them it's not normal.
(2008-10-29, 09:39 AM)alexro Wrote: [ -> ]It worked without problems until the upgrade, even in Internet explorer. I see it as a problem because hundreds of photos are attached to posts in my forum... downloading each and every one if you want to see them it's not normal.

We can argue all day over what's normal but normality is just a point of view. Changes were made to the way attachments work in 1.4.3 to fix bugs and (I'm not really up to date on this) to fix security issues.

If you don't like the changes, then the only suggestion is to revert back to 1.4.2, and make the manual patches to the areas of MyBB that doesn't effect attachments to make the rest of your board secure - and report this in the Bugs section.
Well, this is what I need to know from a mybb developer:

a) this is how things should work, attached images should prompt "open or save" dialog in Internet Explorer for security reasons

or

b) this is a problem regarding the upgrade that could be fixed somehow.
Yes IE's behaviour for image attachments was changed in MyBB 1.4.3 to fix a security issue.
Pages: 1 2